Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FRANKfee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 12:36 PM
    After Divorce Split 401k With Exwife
    Hi I Need Help In How To Settle Or Split The 401k With Exwife.
    We Got Divorced And Settle This Year 06
    I Had A Lawyer For This Divorce Case.. After It Settle Lawyer Told Me That Don't Know How To Do Quatro Order... Or Split The 401k Pension..

Anyhow I Can't Find Who Take This Kind Of Situation... Can U Help Me?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Your lawyer didn't know how to split (or propose to be split) your 401K pension? Something doesn't sound right here. What does she (or her attorney) say she wants? Has the divorce already been finalized? What does the divorce decree say regarding dividing your 401K pension? If it's already been finalized and no provision is stipulated regarding your 401K then it's not even an issue. You need to discuss the specifics with an attorney to get a complete answer to your question, one who's familiar with your circumstances.
    Putthruwringer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2012, 12:27 AM
    Happened to me like that. It was even returned twice cause he didn't do it right. The whole time during the divorce he acted like he knew what to do. I couldn't afford another lawyer but that would have been my best bet. My ex's lawyer at the last moment threw in that there was no gains no loses. So my husband made all the interest during my 15mths I fought for it. But since it did take so long the no losses did mean I was pretty much covered that I wouldn't take a big hit if something went down. But the next thing that wasn't explained to me was how to get this money after the Qudro. Tomorrow the papers are getting overnighted and taking it all out. Getting hit with large taxes but need the money. Who knows what it will be worth by time I get ahold of the money. They don't freeze your money when you finally get your name on it. Losses are made and if you need to get it out you got to work fast as you don't have time to make up the losses if you could keep it in. If you can afford it find a lawyer who will sit down and explain everything. But learn as much as you can so you know what to ask. I thought I knew some but not enough. I would have fought harder for better wording in the divorce and I think more touchable assets instead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exwife to be evicted from sold property? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My boyfriends best friend is going through a divorce and moved in with us a few months ago so he could sell his home. He is letting his soon to be ex-wife stay in his home until the sale date. He put a contract on his home last month with the closing date for next week. Today Tommy (roomate)...

My split is really affecting me... [ 88 Answers ]

I just got separated after a short marriage. I was handling the situation really good throughout the entire separation and was doing OK until a few days ago. Now all of a sudden I can't eat, my stomach is in knots all day, I feel like I want my spouse back (even though for the past several months I...

Cashed in 401k for divorce expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering now that tax season is in full swing, if I could get a tax break on my 401k money that I cashed out. I was told at one time divorce could be used as a hardship. I have two dependants and I made $32,000 last year. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

401k and divorce [ 7 Answers ]

I am 49, terminated last year after 18 years due to restructure, am attending school to retrain for another profession. My husband has ask for a divorce and says that he is entitled to half of my 401k. This is my question. I obviously am going to have to get into this money just to survive until...

Property split [ 1 Answers ]

hello, we inheriated property when my fatherinlaw died.everything has already cleared probate.our questions are 1-the proty is now tenants in common between the two brothers,they both are 50% owners equally.the willstated sellat fair market value at the time of death which both brothers didn't do...

View more questions Search