Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Boots011 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2010, 12:21 AM
    Elderly Hamster Troubles
    I have a female Roborovski (Robo) hamster who is about two years old. She has always been a feisty little thing. She loves her wheel (runs on it constantly) and until lately she has been a serious runner, climber, and gatherer-- doing everything hamsters ought. But lately I've been seeing a gradual change.
    She's been making the strangest noises. The only way I can describe it as is a constant chirping. It's not clicking or squealing. It's a throaty chirp. Also, she doesn't seem to be grooming as much as she used to. She still grooms her belly, but the fur on her back and head looks "disheveled", like she has bed-head. When I change her bedding every week, I put her in a bare aquarium with a sandbath, which she does use, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
    I know she's been thinning out a little, and her back is slightly arched, but I attribute that to just her aging. I haven't changed her bedding, habitat, or diet, so I don't believe it's stress.
    This chirping situation is alarming me and I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of what it could be?
    Thanks.
    Boots011 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2010, 08:53 PM

Since apparently nobody had anything to say to my question, I thought I'd let anybody who might read this in the future know that the hamster died eighteen days after the symptoms were noticed.

She grew progressively weaker, would not take water, seemed unsure of her footing, and appeared dizzy. Her breathing became labored the night before I found her.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 08:59 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. At two years of age your hamster was old and sadly when they start to go downhill they go pretty fast.

I realize that you're upset that your questions wasn't answered. Had I seen your question the only advice I could have given you was to go to your vet. That's really the only option any time an animal gets sick. We can do very little over the internet and can only guess what's wrong.

Once again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My hamster has become mean [ 5 Answers ]

My hamster is mean it is a female. And I used to hold her until she bit me. Do you think she will do it again or should I just leave her alone. Or wear a glove.

My hamster [ 7 Answers ]

My hamster seams like he has a sickness. He is shaking is cold, getting thin and doesn't want to eat anything even his favorite foods! WHAT DO I DO!? :(

Got my new hamster [ 1 Answers ]

First of all I would like to thank all those who helped me by supplying info about hamsters. Yesterday I went and got one. He or she I'm not really sure for the gender, is named Chico. Our two cats never even noticed him yet, thank god. And for rex, well he hasn't tried to eat him so... Lilttle...

Hamster [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm just wondering. I have a female syrian hamster and she is 8 weeks roughly mmmm She is vey nervous and she has bit me once but I want to tame her. Do you know why they make growling noises because she is doing that when she bites the bars and scratches. Plus I want to get her used to...

Hamster Qs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a friend, he says a lot of things... The other day he said a hamster could kill a rat by jumping on its back and biting its neck. This seems a bit silly to me, the largest animal I could find that they eat using Google was locusts. Does this actually happen or is he making things...

View more questions Search