Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan5859 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 08:33 AM
    Flat Tires On Lawn Tractors
    Does Anyone Know Any Good Repairs For A Flat On Tubeless Tires On Lawn Tractors After They Have Been Punctured By Thorns??
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2006, 10:46 AM
    How big were the thorns (I'm guessing, rose size? Thorn bush size maybe?)

If they are still seated to the rim, get some slime (not fix a flat) and put in the tire (L&G formula) and try to inflate... but, would also like to ask, will it hold air for a short period (can be maybe for only 10 minutes... ) as long as it doesn't deflate within the first minute... or can't be inflated, the slime will and should seal it up... just run around the yard in low to high gear for a few minutes..

Now if it leaks too badly, may have to put a tube in it.. (means taking the rim off, the tire, then the valve stem off, and putting a tube in)

If the tire is off the rim, take and put a ratcheting strap around it, and get it tight (just enough)to seat it, inflate a little, loosen a little...
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Nov 15, 2006, 06:03 PM
    You can also take the tires into a major tire store Les Schwab? And have them filled with foam. A little expensive but lasts forever. If going the tube route run your hands in the tire feeling for something to cause the leak again.
    Thank You

Nov 15, 2006, 06:36 PM
    The tires or are still inflated but will go flat after a couple of days. But on one of the front tires, i have a thorn in the tire about half an inch in size... when i remove the thorn, the air leaks out. So i just left it in there. So if i put the slime in the tire, should i remove the thorn after the slime has settled?
    To newaukumdon... once that foam is put in the tires, will it ever leak if punctured by thorns??

Nov 15, 2006, 09:03 PM
    No the foam completely seals the tire against flats ever! But is costly. The tube option is a good inexpensive one but rider tires are always going flat. By the way a tube can be installed by breaking the bead on one side of the wheel.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2006, 10:39 PM
    Half a inch? I believe (don't have some slime in front of me) it'll seal up to 1/4th of a inch...
    I can look at it tomorrow though and see.

Nov 16, 2006, 06:51 AM
    Thanks For All The Help... I Would Really Like To Go The Foam Route Because Im Tired Of Dealing With The Flats. Being That I Live Out In The Country, I Have More Than Enough Different Sizes Of Thorns To Go Around. I Just Wish I Could Find Out Where They Do The Foam Stuff Around Here.

Nov 16, 2006, 08:31 AM
    Go the Les Schwab web site http://www.lesschwab.com/ and ask them brand and availability in your area. Used in wheel barrow tires

Nov 16, 2006, 02:09 PM
    Thanks For The Website But The Closet One To My City Is In Utah, And I Live In Texas Hahaha... thanks For The Help Though!

Nov 16, 2006, 03:19 PM
    I was thinking they could give you a brand name of the product then do a search for dealers. Tubeless tires are the baine of our existence.
    jhalsey117 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 02:59 PM
    To avoid blow-outs, flats, and the like, you might want to look into using solid rubber skid steer tires<a href="http://www.tracksandtires.com/">.</a> You'll never have to worry about flats again and they last an eternity. Totally worth the investment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD Riding Lawn Mower Tires Seized [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1996 MTD riding lawn mower that is in pretty rough shape from sitting outside and not used for 4 years. I've got it all cleaned up and tuned-up but still have a problem with the back tires. They seem as if they are stuck in gear or the breaks are locked up. I've tried pushing them, turning...

Tires [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Durango with 31x10.5 tires. Would TOYO tires be better than Michelins?

Potatoes in tires [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone ever grow potatoes in tires stacked 4 or 5 high. I read somewhere some time ago that you can start potatoes in the first tire, and as they grow, pile soil up over the tops and they will just keep going until you have a sky high tube of tires totally teaming with tubers. :rolleyes: I...

Flat Paint [ 1 Answers ]

I have some flat latex paint and would like to use it in the bathroom. Is there anything I can add to the paint ot make it #1 semi glossy and #2 Mildew resistant?

View more questions Search