Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dittybaby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 08:56 PM
    Magna Carta & U. S. Constitution
    Please compare two specific articles or amendments of the Magna Carta with articles found in the U. S. Constitution. Why were these chapters important to incorporate into the Constitution?
    rizzo822002 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Oct 20, 2007, 11:23 AM
    ''It is now the settled doctrine of this Court that the Due Process Clause embodies a system of rights based on moral principles so deeply imbedded in the traditions and feelings of our people as to be deemed fundamental to a civilized society as conceived by our whole history. Due Process is that which comports with the deepest notions of what is fair and right and just.''1 The content of due process is ''a historical product''2 that traces all the way back to chapter 39 of Magna Carta, in which King John promised that ''[n]o free man shall be taken or imprisoned or disseized or exiled or in any way destroyed, nor will we go upon him nor send upon him, except by the lawful judgment of his peers or by the law of the land.''3 The phrase ''due process of law'' first appeared in a statutory rendition of this chapter in 1354. ''No man of what state or condition he be, shall be put out of his lands or tenements nor taken, nor disinherited, nor put to death, without he be brought to answer by due process of law.''4 Though Magna Carta was in essence the result of a struggle over interest between the King and his barons,5 this particular clause over time transcended any such limitation of scope, and throughout the fourteenth century par liamentary interpretation expanded far beyond the intention of any of its drafters.6 The understanding which the founders of the American constitutional system, and those who wrote the due process clauses, brought to the subject they derived from Coke, who in his Second Institutes expounded the proposition that the term ''by law of the land'' was equivalent to ''due process of law,'' which he in turn defined as ''by due process of the common law,'' that is, ''by the indictment or presentment of good and lawful men.. . Or by writ original of the Common Law.''7 The significance of both terms was procedural, but there was in Coke's writings on chapter 29 a rudimentary concept of substantive restrictions, which did not develop in England because of parliamentary supremacy, but which was to flower in the United St

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 AMP Circuit with 15 AMP Receptical, is this OK, and in code? [ 5 Answers ]

This is sort of similar to the other thread, but my problem is the house I bought is wired with 12, all the breakers are 20AMP except for the 30AMP for the AC and Dryer. When me and my dad were changing the power recepticals, which were 15 amp, someone told us that we should have 20 recepticals, or...

Correction-GFI & AFI Breakers & Shared Neutrals [ 3 Answers ]

I need to submit a correction to some advice I had furnished in the past regarding Ground Fault and Arc Fault circuit breakers being used on shared neutrals. I had in mind the typical single pole 120 volt breakers that will not work if two breakers are used for two 120 volt circuits that share a...

Knock & Flow Stop at Hot Water only to Kit. Sink & D/W [ 3 Answers ]

At our kitchen sink we have a problem with the hot water flow. When the hot water is turned on full (a mixing faucet) either immediately or shortly after the water comes to a full stop simultaneously there is a knock. The water does not begin flowing until you turn off the water altogether. ...

Constitution, declaration of independence [ 0 Answers ]

What is the difference between the declaration of independence, the universal declaration of human rights, and the US constitution? Or why were there 3 documents written? How were minorities violated in any of these?

View more questions Search