Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ebudo Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2009, 03:52 PM
    coordinate geometry(equation of a circle)
    please can you explain to me on how to solve this questions...
    1, find the equation of the diameter of the circle x^2+y^2-8x+6y+21=0 which when produced passes through the point(2,1)...
    2, find the equation of the circle which passes through the point (1,1)has a radius of 10 and whose centre lies on the line y=3x-7...
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2009, 04:47 PM
    2, find the equation of the circle which passes through the point (1,1)has a radius of 10 and whose centre lies on the line y=3x-7...
    To find the x-coordinate of the center, we can use the distance formula.

Since we are told that the center lies on y=3x-7, and the circle passes through , we have

The distance from (1,1) to the line at the center of the circle is then:

Solve for x, then sub that into the line equation to find y. This will be the coordinates of the center of the circle.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2009, 06:12 PM
    1, find the equation of the diameter of the circle x^2+y^2-8x+6y+21=0 which when produced passes through the point(2,1).
    The find the equation of the circle from the given standard form, complete the square.

This has center (4,-3) and radius 2.

By 'equation of the diameter', I assume you mean the equation of the line that passes through the center of the circle, (4,-3) and
    (2,1). I will leave you to find that. That is easy to do now.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2009, 04:17 AM

Small typo galactus :)

Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2009, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Unknown. I tried the reutation thing, but it wouldn't let me... as usual.
    Ebudo Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2009, 01:37 PM

Thanks a lot.. galactus... its so easy d way u explained it... nd unknown, thnks 4 d correction... lol...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to solve a circle equation? [ 5 Answers ]

How do you solve a circle equation without having the radius Ex. R ^2= (5-h)^2+(5-k)^2 ?

Homework on Coordinate Geometry [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys. I'm currently doing my homework but I'm stuck on this question and I need help ASAP " find K given that (-3,k) is 7 units away from (2,4)" How do I solve this question. And which formula do I use Thanks guys so much. Xxxx

Write standard form of the equation of a circle [ 2 Answers ]

How would I write the standard equation of a cirlce given the center is (4,1), radius=2 :confused:

Geometry: Area of a Square in a Circle [ 1 Answers ]

So, I am trying to determine how to to find the area of a square that is inscribed in a circle. The only information I have is that the circumference of the circle is 10 inches. So from here I have determined that: Diameter is 3.18 (10/pi) Radius is 1.59 So I would think with that...

Coordinate Geometry [ 1 Answers ]

what is the distance between the lines if the equations of the 2 parallel lines are. Please show complete solutions. L1: x-y+5=0 L2: x-y-3=0

View more questions Search