Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marie729 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 10:25 AM
    The Change
    I wanted to know if someone could inform me on the laws the pertain to changing ownership of residencial leasing property. Is is not a requirement to inform the current tenants of the change? If tenant are no informed are they legally bond to that agreement, although they didn't sign agreement with the new management company? Please advise... I am researching this now. They have not treated the current tenant properly since they took over.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 10:32 AM
    Both the new landlord and the current tenant are required to abide by the original Lease terms.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2006, 12:03 PM
    I don't think there is any requirement that the tenant be informed of a change in ownership. Of course, they should be informed if there is a change in a) where rental payments are sent and, b) who they contact for maintenance. But if, for example, the property was previously managed by a property manager and the new owner continued to use the same manager, then there would be no need for the tenant to be informed. On the flip side, the tenant would have a right to that info, IF there is a dispute with the manager.

Any lease inforce at the time of sale, needs to be honored by both the tenant and the new landlord.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Nov 15, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie729
    I wanted to know if someone could inform me on the laws the pertain to changing ownership of residencial leasing property. Is is not a requirement to inform the current tenants of the change? If tenant are no informed are they legally bond to that agreement, although they didn't sign agreement with the new management company? Please advise...I am researching this now. They have not treated the current tenant properly since they took over.
    YES - usually the old and new owners write notification letters that are sent in one envelope to the residents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change of name deed? [ 2 Answers ]

Since getting divorced I would like to change my surname back to my maiden name. Do I have to do this legally or do I need a change of name document? I need to change names on things like doctors records, bank, credit cards, driving licence.:confused:

Need a change... [ 6 Answers ]

I am feeling so fed up lately, don't feel like I am living at all - only existing. I know the path I am currently following is all wrong. It was a good escape from my last job; but now I can see that I need to change course and venture down a new path. There are opportunities waiting fro me, but...

Name Change? First Name [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to change my first name. I can't find anything in Tennessee law about changing your first name. It is stated as name. I assume it is the same as both. I really don't want to change my name but the spelling of my first name. As I said I live in Tennessee. Can anyone point me in the right...

View more questions Search