Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chas1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 06:30 PM
    Snowblower carburetor leaking. What could be the problem(s)?
    Carburetor is leaking gas. What could be the problems? Gasket?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 06:43 PM

Some possibilities for bowl type carburetors in no particular order:
    • Bowl/carburetor body gasket has failed.
    • Float could be stuck and failing to shutoff gas flow. Sometimes sharply but gently whacking side of bowl will fix this without taking bowl off.
    • Float is defective and failing to float which causes gas flow to not be shut off once bowl fills.
    • The seal on the stem attached to the float is defective which would also cause the gas to not be shutoff once bowl fills.
    • Carburetor body is cracked.
    • Bowl drain seal is defective.

The exact location the carburetor is leaking from is indicative of the problem. Leakage from around the choke and throttle butterflies can indicate a fuel shutoff problem. Posting your specific equipment model may also yield more precise responses for the carburetor model you have.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 07:20 PM

More than likely, the fuel valve is sticking because unstabilized fuel was left in the snowblower for sometime.

You have to get some carb cleaner into the fuel line at the carb somehow. If your lucky you might free the valve.

Then, mix something like seafoam carb cleaner with the gas and run for a bit. Use a small amount of gas mixed with the seafoam carb cleaner and let it run out before using new gas.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 07:26 PM

More than likely, the fuel valve is sticking because unstabilized fuel was left in the snowblower for sometime.

You have to get some carb cleaner into the fuel line at the carb somehow. If your lucky you might free the valve.

Then, mix something like seafoam carb cleaner with the gas and run for a bit. Use a small amount of gas mixed with the seafoam carb cleaner and let it run out before using new gas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snowblower problem [ 2 Answers ]

Help! My snowblower starts but it doesn't run smooth and the blade looks like it is moving slowly. It sounds like it is getting gas but inconsistently or vroom, vroom vroom. We are expecting a foot of snow tonight. Any thoughts?

Bathtub leaking, trap is the problem [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bathtub which leaks into the dining room ceiling every time it drains. A plumber told us to tighten the trap cover, which sort of works. However, the screw doesn't tighten well enough to stay put and gets loose. I can't remove the cover either as the screw just turns with no bite. ...

Faucet seating/leaking problem [ 1 Answers ]

We Have A Glacier Bay Bathroom Faucet That's Been Dripping. A Series 300 That Uses The Small 7/16 Rubber Boot And Spring That Fits In Approp. Hole In Water Supply Then Over The Top Fits A Turnable Water Control. Well, I Have Replaced This Type Before W/o A Problem But This One Leaks After New Ones...

Snowblower Carb Problem? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have a small Murray Ultra 5 HP, 22" snowblower. I have been a bad boy and have not taken care of it very well, no fuel stabilizer over summer, etc. The problem now, after about 3 years, is that when start, engine does not run smoothly, and will die under load. Also, looks like is firing at...

View more questions Search