Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elakelly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 11:00 AM
    Shih tzu puppies potty training
    I have a 5 1/2 month male shih tzu puppy. We got him already paper trained. All has been great until now. He goes outside for walks and he has learn to raise his leg when urinating now. That is great when were outside, but now in the home he has begun raising his leg in places he is not supposed to urinate! What can I do about this? Is he marking, or just being a male? Tx Kelly
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 03:24 PM

That can be the down side to paper training, especially with a pup, they can get a little confused about where they are supposed to go.
    I would start moving the paper daily, just move it a foot or so each day getting closer and closer to your back door, then when you finally reach the door way take it away and start watching for when he goes to the door. Then it's time to rush him outside to the grass.
    This should hopefully teach him to go stand by the door when he needs to go potty.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 03:35 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is that he's 5 1/2 months old. I'm assuming he isn't neutered yet?

Hormones can have an affect on potty training. Time to talk to your vet about neutering, it will make things a bit easier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shih Tzu potty training [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12 week old Shih Tzu which I've had for 2 1/2 weeks. She has been pooping in her crate and I'm not sure what to do. I have decreased the size of the crate to just big enough for her to turn around and lay down. Last night I got up at 1:30 and took her out, but she only peed, then pooped...

Potty training a 1 year old shih tzu [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a cute little 1 year old shih tzu about 2 weeks ago and I am having great difficulty potty training him. The previous owners didn't have him potty trained. I bought him a crate and take him out to "go potty" regularly. Then I keep him on a leash in the kitchen or in the bathroom so he...

Potty Training Shih Tzu [ 1 Answers ]

This is probably a tough one.. . My shih tzu is about a year and a half old. He is still not completely potty trained. I think we thought he was doing okay because he will not urinate in the area where he spends most of his time, which is our uncarpeted (vinyl) kitchen and dining area. It's a...

Potty Training Shih Tzu [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I work from home, and recently got a 9 week old shih tzu puppy. The breeder had told me that the puppy was litter box trained. What he meant was he put the puppy in the crate with a big pan full of litter, and the puppy used to sleep there and potty there. So now when I got him home, I got a...

Shih Tzu Potty Training Problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old male shih tzu. He is doing well with knowing when to tell us when he has to potty outside and pees on everything he can. The problem is that he will not poop outside unless we go on a walk or have lots of run time. He seems to be stimulated by the exercise and will sometimes...

View more questions Search