Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcdisney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 05:56 PM
    Heater blows cold when "On", not at all on "Auto"
    Our gas heater is 7 years old, and has worked fine in the two years we've rented here. This winter though, we can't get it to work consistently. When on "Auto", it doesn't turn on at all, no matter what temperature we select, and when we turn the fan to "On", it simply blows cold air. It occasionally decides it feels like working, but not consistently. Our outdoor temps have been varying from 32-65 degrees, so it's not as if we're in Siberia or anything, but I'm cold!

Our hot water tank is also gas, and we've had hot water, just no heated air.

Does this sound like something simple we need to do, such as look for some sort of filter to change or a switch to trip, or do we need to hound our landlord for a service call?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Sounds like the burners are not coming on at all. The blower is controlled by the furnace, it has to be above a certain temp in the heat exchanger or a certain amount of time after the burners light (about 90 sec.) before the blower will come on. You may have a bad thermostat (heat anticipator wire may be burnt) Take your thermostat apart and jumper from R to W if it works it's a bad thermostat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Pink pill with "watson" and "502" on it [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of pill is pink and has watson 502 on it?

Difference between "htm" and "html" [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, In all the websites I make, they all come out when loaded onto the server as a "htm" file. But I see others who have "html" files on their sites, what exactly is the difference, if any? For example: what is the difference between index.htm and index.html and will the nameservers...

Programmable Thermostat Not Working in "AUTO" mode [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me here. I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat that was installed by a professional about a year ago. About 3 days ago, the thermostat stopped maintaining a temperature and began dropping. The thermostat is showing HEAT on the display, however, no heat...

View more questions Search