Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    likenokevin Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 04:34 PM
    Pairing a Trane 4TEE3F31B1000A & a Honeywell RTH7400D
    I have a recently installed new Trane system...

4TWX5024B1000A (XL15i) + 4TEE3F31B1000A
    25,200 BTU's cooling
    24,000 BTU's heating
    13 EER, 15.25 SEER, 8.6 HSPF

And an existing Honeywell RTH7400D stat.

The system was professionally installed and seemed to get along great with the stat.

Lately the stat will get stuck on "wait" whenever it tries to call for heat. It rarely switches over to the "heat on" status. Sometimes it seems that the heat is on even when it is stuck on "wait" because the room temp will rise to 71 which is the target temp. But most of the time it remains on wait with the room temp continuously dropping into the 60's. I quite often hear a clicking sound either coming from the indoor unit or the stat. They are in proximity of each other. The clicking sound is usually heard in pairs about 15 to 20 seconds apart. I'm wondering if this is the "heat" turning on and off again...

This system controls one zone of our two zone house. As a result of the problem above certain rooms in the other zone end up getting super hot (I guess from the other unit over compensating) while rooms in the problem area remain cold.

I'm going with the assumption that the wiring between the new system and the stat was performed correctly although I am open to trouble shooting that part of the equation.

Here are the programming options as they are currently set in the stat.

0170 --> 7
    0180 --> not prompted
    0190 --> 0
    0240 --> not prompted
    0530 --> 1

These seem to be the settings that appear to be important to getting the stat to talk to the heat pump.

I'm wondering if these setting are correct for my scenario or if my stat needs to be replaced.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 05:58 PM
    All of your questions should be asked of the contractor who installed your system and is responsible for its warranty but I will try and answer and provide you with info on the thermostat you have. Read your manual first so you have a better understanding of its operation then post back with your questions. One other item I will add is that set back thermostats do not work well with heat pumps due to electric or aux heat over ride.

BTW the WAIT sign is there when someone tries to force the unit to heat or cool before the time delay process is over. It is to protect the equipment from people playing Russian roulette with the thermostat as in raising or lowering the temp at to fast a speed. This will damage the equipment and that is why the thermostat outsmarts them and tells them that the equipment will wait for the time delay to run out before changing.

Manual

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...it/69-1726.pdf

Dec 19, 2009, 06:15 PM

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure what a set back stat is.

The wait sign is being displayed even when no one is adjusting the temp. I actually set the schedule to have the same temp at all times to try remedy the problem. No luck.

Dec 19, 2009, 06:21 PM
    If you read the manual the wait time is described in a couple of different locations. I see no fault where the wait time should be on for more than 5 minutes. You have another problem or it is the thermostat. If they sold and installed the thermostat call the contractor.

Dec 19, 2009, 06:24 PM

The thermostat was already installed with the previous system. Thanks for the rely.

Dec 19, 2009, 06:26 PM
    Might be time for a new thermostat. Usually it is better to get a new thermostat when buying a new system.

Jan 3, 2010, 07:37 AM

I ended up getting a RTH7600. Wired per the instructions. The "Heat On" came on for about 10 seconds then switched over to "Wait". Could the compressor be switching on and off on its own and making the stat go into wait mode?

Jan 3, 2010, 10:00 AM
    The wait sign is usually activated if someone tries to change a setting or something within a short period. Read the manual for your stat since that is what I am going to have to do.

Jan 3, 2010, 10:11 AM
    Compressor minimum-off timer is active.
    Wait up to five minutes for the cooling or
    Heating system to turn on.

Set the unit and leave it alone for 10 to 15 minutes and see what it does. The WAIT is a system protection device built into the thermostat. Sometimes people play with the thermostat too much which can cause system damage so they built this in to prevent it.

Once again read your manual.

Starting on page 29 you have to do the proper set up or the thermostat will malfunction and possible cause the problem you are having.

NOTE try setting 530 in the set up to 0 instead of 1. Adaptive recovery does not work well with a heat pump. Try this for a few hours of leaving the thermostat alone then post back with results.

Jan 9, 2010, 10:51 AM

I had a guy come out and look it over and it turns out that the wiring from the stat to the air handler went bad. It was shorting out any time the stat called for the aux heat. He replaced the wiring and now it is working like a charm.

Jan 9, 2010, 01:27 PM
    Bad wiring does have an effect on the operation of the thermostat and the unit itself. I am glad to know nothing got damaged other that the wire somehow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane to honeywell RTH230B [ 1 Answers ]

I have a trane with 6 wires... g, o, x2, y, t, r, and w. and I am trying to connect it to a honeywell with Rh, Rc, W, Y, and G. I have no idea where the extra wires go. I figured the green yellow and white, and now I have brown, red, and black left.

Installing Honeywell RTH7400D [ 8 Answers ]

I am installing a Honeywell RTH 7400 D. The old thermostat did not have lables on the wires. There is a Red White and Blue Wire. I believe the Red will go the Rh and the White to W but I do not know where to connect the Blue.

Wiring Honeywell RTH7400D from an older thermostat config [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a TRANE BAYHTR1408 (TWE030C14FBO) heating and AC unit. The old connection wires were as follows wire color = letter red = R yellow = Y/Y2 green = G blue = C

View more questions Search