Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbrltom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Calculating gravity on planet surface?
    I know that we normally treat the planet as a point source (take mass of planet, take distance from center of planet to surface, etc.) to determine the gravitational force an object on the surface will experience.

It is also clear that this is simply a rough estimate that is more effective over long distances. The way to get a truer number would be by treating the problem as the integral of two overlapping spheres. The object (let's say a person) is standing on the surface of the Earth, so one metric ton of the planet within one kilometer of that individual would exert a far greater attraction than 1 metric ton on the opposite side of the planet, several thousand times further away.

Furthermore, much of the mass is also working against itself. If our person is standing at the north pole, the band of soil at the equator is pulling at an angle we can break into two vectors, one tangent to the person and the other directly towards the center of the Earth. The tangent vectors would all cancel one another out and leave a far less significant net gravitational force relative to the planet than a point source model would give for the given mass.

Keeping this in mind (and assuming a body of uniform density), I was wondering how significant of a difference in gravitational force answers you would find between the two models (point source and integral of overlapping spheres with vectors considered.) The math for the second model would be fairly bad, but I'm mainly interested in whether it would be negligible, or we are looking at a 5-10% or more difference in calculated gravitational force.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2009, 05:22 AM

Basically, if you're concerned about the gravitational attraction on, for example, the side of the moon nearest the earth and the side of the moon distant from the earth, then you can make the calculation and see a small difference. However, if you're concerned about the gravitational force on the moon (or other body) as a whole, then the concept of the centroid comes into play. In this case, there is absolutely no difference. The differences drop out of the equation.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    However, if you're concerned about the gravitational force on the moon (or other body) as a whole, then the concept of the centroid comes into play. In this case, there is absolutely no difference. The differences drop out of the equation.
    Right - at least for spherical objects ** EDIT (and asuming that you are not positioned inside the boundary of the sphere). ** There's a good explanation of this effect here:

Gravitational Field

For non-spherical objects, or if the density of matter in the object is not uniformly distributed, the gravitational force may indeed be different from what you would calculate if you assumed all the mass was concentrated at the center of mass.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another Planet Just Like Ours? [ 10 Answers ]

All right well a few of my buddies were talking the other night, and one of them was saying that some how scientist have evidence that somewhere out in the universe there is another planet just like ours. That there's thinking beings who look, think and live just like us, just that there thousands...

New Exo Planet [ 11 Answers ]

I read in the newspaper, that we have a new planet. Could you tell me more about this? That is if you heard this.

Planet X? [ 3 Answers ]

I've come across a site, www.zetatalk.com, which talks about the passage of a planet known as the 12th planet, and is referred to as "Planet X" in other places. What's the deal about it?

What is the fixed reference surface for calculating everything? [ 5 Answers ]

The scientist can calculate the escape velocity of earth throughout the space.(For instance 30km per second) But which reference surface used for this calculation? In the space there is no thing which is motionless.Everything in motion.In the earth,our reference surface is ground for calculation...

Is it a planet? [ 2 Answers ]

Right now(4:00AM) in Wyoming, in the north eastern part of the sky, just above the horizon there is a HUGE bright star that seems to pulsate(twinkle) When I first saw it I thought it was a UFO! It is very prominent in the sky. Does anyone know if this is a planet or just a very large star? Okay...

View more questions Search