Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 05:19 AM
    Filing from overseas with foreign wife
    Hello all, first time poster by I've been lurking for a few weeks. I'm preparing for taxes and am puzzled by my options.

I'm an American working overseas. I was married last year (2008) to a foreign girl and filed married separate in 2008.

I'm considering filing a joint return for 2009 but am not sure I should do this because that would expose her to US taxes, and she has never lived in the US ( I don't understand why my foreign income is excluded up to ~$84k, but she would have to pay? ).

And others write-offs? ) but since she had foreign earned income in 2009, we would have to pay taxes on that amount (which is not a huge sum since she worked only part of the year ~ 18k, but it has already been taxed once).

How in the world will the IRS know she had taxable income in another country?

She will not have taxable income for 2010, so maybe I should wait. One reason I want the large std. deduction this year is I would like to be able to realize some capital gains to use up my deduction. If I file jointly, I can realize another $5,000 + of gains without paying taxes on it.

When does one know which way they should file? I have read that filing separate is rarely the better choice, but I'm not exactly the average filer. Any help would be appreciated.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Dec 16, 2009, 09:40 AM

Actually, your situation is quite common.
    The organization "American Citizens Abroad", a large group of expatriates, says that 34% of Americans abroad have alien spouses. I have written an article regarding that which you can access at:
    ACA American Citizens Abroad - The Alien Spouse and Other Strange Beings

I believe you will wish to file as "Married Filing Jointly" from 2008 forward.
    If your spouse wishes to be treated as a US resident under sec. 6013(g) she is entitled to elect the foreign earned income exclusion too giving you both a total exclusion amount of $87,600 each.

It will be required that she obtain an individual tax identification number (ITIN); see
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf
    Check box (e) and fill in the info required. Carefully read the instructions and follow them EXACTLY.
    Submit the W-7 and a certified copy of her passport (or other acceptable documents) with your tax return to this address:
    Internal Revenue Service
    ITIN Operation
    P.O. Box 149342
    Austin, TX 78714-9342

I believe it will be worth amending your 2008 return to show MFJ rather than MFS.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 09:58 AM
    If you need professional help either filing your 2009 return, applying for the ITIN or amending your 2008 return, contact me at [email protected].

Your type of tax situation is what we do!
    bluto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 10:59 AM

Five Rings, I really appreciate your quick and thorough response. You make it sound clear and easy!

I will definitely file MFJ this year and consider the change for last year, though two years of taxes might send me over the edge! I'll have to go back and look at what it cost me, then I'm make a decision. I guess I can't overlook the opportunity to get some back!
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Dec 16, 2009, 11:29 AM

Pick a nasty rainy day when nothing else is going on and amend your 2008 return. Even several hundred dollars is worth the effort unless you are so wealthy as to make that sum insignificant.

Have your wife do the W-7 and get that in order and you do the returns.

Then take her out for a nice romantic dinner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To be married filing jointly previous overseas income of wife [ 1 Answers ]

We are to be married in early December; my fiancé had income from another country where she lived as a citizen there for the first 11 months of this year, the income amounting to less than $4000 in U.S. Dollars. Do we need to report this overseas 2009 income of hers from prior to our Marriage on...

What's included in Foreign Earned Income while overseas? [ 2 Answers ]

I am investigating living overseas. The country that I'm considering has zero tax. I will be paid a salary, housing, car, school fees and flights in this package. Will all these benefits be taxable? I understand that there is a tax exemption of $87,500 this year. These benefits will exceed...

Taxes for overseas wife with dependent son [ 1 Answers ]

My wife lives in a South American country and has an 8-yr old dependent son living with her. Both having their petitions approved already, they should be arriving at the earliest to live with me in the United States in 1Q-3Q 2009, but not before 2009. She has a very small income <$5500 per year...

Overseas filing [ 3 Answers ]

If I am living overseas, what is the benefit of filing a NJ state income tax as a "non-resident"? Do I file a state tax return and get all the taxes deducted throughout the year back or can I claim exempt and not pay any state tax at all? Thanks for any help.

Filing taxes overseas [ 1 Answers ]

At the end of my OPT (this May) I will be moving back home to Austria. I guess I have to file my taxes next year as well, since I had an income this year. How do I do this from Europe? Is there anything else I need to consider when leaving the country in respect to the IRS?

View more questions Search