Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimbo3515 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 07:26 AM
    94 civic dx won't start - no spark help
    I have replaced the dist with a rebuilt unit & have an ecm from a junkyard which they swear is good but still no spark
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 07:51 AM

If the CEL comes on and goes off after 2 seconds, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then the problem is with the distributor. I would replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

If the problem persists, replace the distributor housing with a genuine Honda distributor housing and install the new ICM and coil.

Dec 15, 2009, 08:04 AM
    Yes the CEL comes on & goes out in 2 sec. I have replaced the dist. & ecm. Are there any other suggestions
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 08:07 AM

The distributor is bad, presuming the fuses and ignition switch are good. Over 50% of all new aftermarket distributors don't work in Hondas--of those that do, many fail prematurely. The percentage failure on rebuilts is even higher.

Dec 15, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    If the CEL comes on and goes off after 2 seconds, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then the problem is with the distributor. I would replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

If the problem persists, replace the distributor housing with a genuine Honda distributor housing and install the new ICM and coil.
    I have replaced the dist. & ECM . The light comes on & goes out in 2sec. Any other suggestions?
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 08:16 AM

Return the rebuilt distributor for replacement.

Dec 15, 2009, 08:17 AM

I have pulled & checked each fuse under dash & hood - all are good . Is there one fuse in particular that would make this condition? Also this not starting didn't happen overnight. About 4 times before this the car would'nt start. But after awhile it did. Once it even died while driving- let it set 30min. & it started back up, but now there is no spark
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 08:25 AM

. Check all under dash and under hood fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

You need to check for "power through the fuse." Be very thorough, since it will save a lot of time and money.

. Described symptoms sound like "classic" ICM and/or coil failure. Heat takes its toll.

Have you installed a new coil?

Dec 15, 2009, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post

Thank you for your help. I am going under the hood again. I will get back with you later on my progress thanks again
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 08:38 AM

Great.

Dec 15, 2009, 12:17 PM

I really want to thank you for your persistence about the dist. as soon as I changed it the car started. Thank you so much!
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 12:18 PM

Did you install another remanufactured distributor?

Dec 15, 2009, 12:23 PM

Yes it is another reman. Hope it lasts awhile, new ones are as much as the car is worth
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 12:31 PM

I agree. I'm glad it got you back on the road. Good job.

Dec 15, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo3515 View Post
    yes it is another reman. hope it lasts awhile, new ones are as much as the car is worth
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 Civic Lx won't Start! No Spark [ 5 Answers ]

Well I searched it a lot, and found a lot of people are having the same problem, and this site has come up a lot in my searches, the only problem is when someone is asked a question, sometimes their answer is different than mine so I don't get an answer Well I got a 92 civic, and its not getting...

1992 honda civic will not start and has no spark [ 6 Answers ]

My 1992 Honda civic turns over but will not start. I have pulled out a spark plug, grounded it and turned the engine over and no spark. I have checked the coil and it seems to be fine. Can you help?

94 civic won't start- have spark no fuel [ 25 Answers ]

94 civic lx 1.5l cranks fine but no start. Did some research on internet. No sound from fuel pump or relay clicks. Replaced main relay with new one- no change. Jumped terminals 5 & 7 and fuel pump comes on and I hear one click from a relay somewhere. Checked for spark- good on all 4 cyls. With 5 &...

95 Civic Won't Start - Has Compression, Fuel & Spark [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Civic LX was over heated and melted the headgasket. I have replaced the head gasket and still didn't work run because of low compress under 70psi on a few cylinders. I have resurfaced the head and now all cylinder has 180psi. I put everything back together but the car looks like...

Civic 2000,fuel and spark, no start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Civic 1.6 ,single cam ,that quit running.Engine turns over,good battery,fuel pump runs,injectors get fuel and signal to open and close.Also, it has spark and the engine timing is fine, but it does not start.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

View more questions Search