Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bfagan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 05:39 PM
    Can banks seize accounts
    I wrote a check for lease purchase of a home 11/2008 in the amount of $40,000. The bank made a mistake and coded the check for $400.00. After more than a year
    The bank has frozen my account and they want the money back. I turned my account over
    To an account in 9/2009 the mistake was not found my account. Do I have any recourse?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2009, 05:49 PM

Hello b:

Do I understand correctly that the bank PAID $40K, but only debited your account $400, and now they want their $39,600 back??

If that's so, then of course, the bank can reverse their mistake.. Did you have their money in your account?? No, of course you didn't. If it was me, I'd do my best to get the bank their money, because if you took ANY of it, and you KNEW it wasn't yours, then you're guilty of a crime. Maybe if you get it back to them, they may NOT call the cops.

On a second reading of your question, are you also saying that your accountant missed an extra $39,600 in your account too? I'd fire him.

Or, if it's something else, please explain.

excon
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Dec 14, 2009, 06:16 PM

Hello bfagan

Let me see if I understand what you are saying YOU didn't noticed that you had a HUGE amount in your checking account! Do you not check your monthley statements? Something does not sound right
    And if your accountant didn't find it... well You might have some explaining to do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 14, 2009, 06:59 PM

Well I guess if you have 2 or 3 million in a bank account, you may not notice an extra 39,000 dollars,

So of course you have to pay the bank ASAP since you KNEW that this was their money when you started I guess spending it for other things.

They may be willing to take a first mortgage on your property if you own it free and clear also
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2009, 07:24 PM

Do you realize you are a thief? Yes, I said thief. You took money you knew did not belong to you, that's the definition of theft.

Be thankful the bank does not have you arrested. Pay them back the $39,600 and hope they don't charge you interest.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 14, 2009, 07:26 PM

Yes, when you balanced your check book the next time you got a statement ( people do that you know) you knew you had the extra money and would know why

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seize Paid-Off Car? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in FL and re-financed and totally paid back an auto loan to a FL credit union and received the title from them to the automobile many years ago. I also had a LOC and credit card issued by this same credit union around the same time, but have now lost my job and been unable to work for some...

Looking for other banks accounts [ 2 Answers ]

How long will the creditor or lawyer look for other bank accounts, if A levy was placed on one bank account already?

View more questions Search