Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitch50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 10:47 PM
    How to prime a electric well pump
    I have a rapid dayton well pump with a pressure gage on top,pump is running but no pressure,do I fill with water @ the gage to prime
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2009, 06:07 AM

To prime a pump, look on top of the impeller housing and find a threaded 1/4" hole with a plug. This could also gave a pressure gage installed in the threaded hole. No matter, turn the pump off at the breaker box and remove whatever's in there and fill the impeller housing with water until it runs out of the hole replace the plug or gage and turn the pump back on. If you can't fill the housing up to the top that would indicate a faulty check/foot valve. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer, Tom
    brownsr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2013, 04:32 PM
    How do I remove the water from the well in order to prime it up?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Aha! That's the real trick to this thing... Sorry, but I couldn't help it.

Actually, you will have to bring water in. Could take two or three gallons, so you might just want to buy water at a store or check in with a neighbor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water well pump won't prime I know but I can't get to prime [ 0 Answers ]

I know how to prime a water well pump but Icant get it to prime . How would I know if something wrong with the pump

Can't get pump to prime [ 9 Answers ]

Hi- We have a shallow well with a jet pump and it has lost its prime and we can't get it back... we have replaced the foot valve and pump and still no luck.

Pump Will not prime [ 2 Answers ]

We have a jet pump well system that has been a pain from day one. Currently the problem is that we lost prime in the pump and now can not get it back. We have checked water level in well, that's fine, checked foot valve, that's fine. Pipes in the ground that run to the well holding water...

Can't get pump to prime [ 12 Answers ]

I know how to prime a well water pump, but I tried for 1 1/2 had a hose from another well for water and it still won't prime. It gets "full" and then an air bubble comes up and I lose the "prime". There is no busted pipes, no leaks and no water turned on anywhere in the system. The pump does run

Well pump will not prime. [ 0 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Recently I had a break in my water line going between the well pump and the pressure tank. It happened over night while I was asleep. When I awoke I heard the well pump running in the basement. When I finally went to inspect it I found my basement completely full of water. ...

View more questions Search