Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nurseburke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 04:04 PM
    Clutch question
    Can I do this and not wear out my clutch and/or manual transmission?
    Instead of pushing the clutch to downshift when I am coming up to a red light, this is what I do. I shift to neutral without pushing in the clutch and glide to stop. I started doing this so I wouldn't be pushing on the clutch all the time to downshift. Is this OK or not? I have a brand new 2010 Kia Soul. When I went in at a little over 3000 miles for the oil change, they said I was using the clutch too much. So great I've had it 3 months and it's already wearing out?
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Dec 8, 2009, 04:22 PM

I assume that they are referring to an unduly worn clutch plate. I'm not a car expert, but I can't imagine what you can be doing to use the clutch "too much" if you are simply using it to shift gears. I have a 5-speed Saturn with over 140,000 miles in mixed traffic and it has the original clutch. Unless the Kias are really behind the times or it is a wildly poor design (both of which I doubt), your clutch should not be wearing out for a long time.

Could it be that you are driving with your foot on the clutch all, or a large part of, the time? That is called "riding the clutch" and is a no-no.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 04:57 PM

That's what I was thinking. Also, the long delay in getting the vehicle rolling. Some drive way too much gas and ride the clutch pedal too long. This will wear it out way prematurely.
    If you're getting used to shifting into neutral while rolling to a stop, think of this, down shifting and letting the engine do the braking save tons on brake parts.
    Never put too much force on the transmission trying to shift without clutch. It puts a lot of pressure on the synchronization. If you become very good judging engine rpm and speed to let it slip into neutral without force, then it shouldn't hurt anything. Just 2 cents worth. Happy driving.
    plato80 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 10:40 PM

One more thing to ponder... if you downshift when you come to a stop rather than putting it into neutral, you're actually saving gas (counterintuitive, huh?) It's because the momentum of the car keeps the engine running rather than the gas itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does a clutch work? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter wants to learn about gasoline-powered engines. How do they work? How does a clutch work? Do you know of any resources, internet or books that covers this topic? Tiny diagrams (most auto books) won't work because I can't see them. Ideally, a working model would be best. We could even...

Envoy Clutch Fan [ 2 Answers ]

Judging from the number of them on Ebay for sale the fan clutch on my 2003 Envoy is prone to seizing. Is there a repair to avoid the $400.00 new one?

94 GMC clutch [ 1 Answers ]

94 GMC Sierra 1500 5 speed The problem: push clutch in, put in gear, let out clutch without touching the gas and it just sits there. If I keep giving it gas it will move after 30-60 seconds, but it does it going into every gear if I try to drive it down the road. Any help would be great.

View more questions Search