Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baj123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2009, 04:50 PM
    1996 Camry overheating, ideas?
    About 3 weeks ago I noticed my '96 Camry was spilling coolant out of the overflow container after medium+ length trips. After seeing this a few times I topped off the coolant and kept an eye on it, but I didn't notice anymore overflow. Temp gauge was normal until yesterday it overheated. I checked the radiator and of course the coolant was pretty low. After topping it off and a test run the overflow container was empty and steaming a little bit. The temp gauge has been near normal but fluctuating hotter than usual. The fan seems to be working normally also. Any ideas where I should start? Thanks.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2009, 04:57 PM

Check your water pump. Check for obstructions in the radiator. Check for leaks in the hoses.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2009, 05:38 PM

If you have never replaced the radiator in this car, it has most likely out lived it's useful life. They tend to crack at the top and bottom tanks. Replace T-stat and hoses with the job.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2009, 05:51 PM

When you refill the new radiator, refill it with a 50/50 mixture of Toyota-recommended coolant and distilled water.
    baj123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2009, 06:31 PM

That should get me started, thanks a lot. The radiator was replaced about 2 years ago and the hoses are in good shape. I forgot to mention that the temp gauge will read higher at idle and drop after acceleration. Maybe the fan? Im not the current driver of the car but last I knew the fan was OK. How can I test the fan, like should it kick on after start up and idling for a while or would I have to drive it again?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 08:16 AM

This link should help you test the operation of the radiator fan:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1642158

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overheating 1998 Camry [ 5 Answers ]

The temperature gage started fluctuating between midway up to the red zone yesterday while driving in traffic. At highway speeds it was still wavering, but not up to the red zone. Today I replaced the thermostat, but the temp is still unsteady. I noticed a little steam around the radiator cap...

94 camry overheating [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 94 toyota camry and its been getting hot lately I've replaced the fan sensor in the bottom of the radiator and changed my thermostat and changed my coolant. If anyone has any ideas please help me

Personal light in 1996 camry [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 96" camry and the personal light stopped working, so I am trying to figure out How to change the bulb. I'm not sure how to get the cover off without breaking something. Any suggestions?

What are possible causes for overheating 1994 Toyota Camry V6 [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My Camry started to overheat a few days ago when sitting in traffic or moving at low speeds and as well there is a loud 'whirring' sound (like an old Jeep) coming from the engine when it gets hot. Travelling at highway speeds it appears fine and doesn't overheat. Coolant had been low...

1996 toyota camry [ 2 Answers ]

I need to change the bulb in the left tail light of my 1996 Toyota camry. Can someone help me out with this, I do not have a manual and am sure it is very easy. Thanks

View more questions Search