Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coolhandluke31 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2009, 11:16 AM
    Installed Honeywell Thermo- Doesn't shut off heat
    HI...

I installed the Honeywell RTH221B heat/cool thermostat.

Despite setting the temperature to 65 as the main temp and 65 on all 4 time cyles of the day, the heat goes until I take it off the wall.

I am thinking maybe I installed it incorrectly. I know the guy at the 800 number at Honeywell tried, but its hard for him to know.

The main purpose of putting this thermostat in was to consolidate and older Honeywell Chronotherm that ran the heat and a Honeywell simple dial that was for the AC.

The heat wire has a Green and a White, the red was not used with the chronotherm.

The AC had a white, mint green and red wire. There were all used with the H-dial.

Seeing how it is 30 and snowing here in beautiful New York today... I am happy just to get the heat working correctly and will worry about the AC later.

If someone knows the correct hook-up, I would appreciate it. I have a picture of the thermostat bay, but I don't know how to upload it.

On the left, there is a yellow and green terminal, the right has an Rh, Rc and white.

Thanks... I appreciate any help anyone can lend.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 5, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Your problem goes deeper than you think. You will have to sound out every wire and find exactly where they go then wire accordingly or it might be best to call a pro for on site assistance since combining the operation of two different thermostats is not that easy sometimes.

Dec 5, 2009, 02:49 PM

I suppose, and I do need someone in April for the AC yearly. But as far as getting the heat on. I traced the dark green and white wire for the heat back to the zone control valve. Assuming for now I just want to have the heat setting without have to take the thing apart every time to shut it off, what would you do?

Dec 5, 2009, 02:51 PM
    Use R or RH and W terminals for heat only on your thermostat.

Dec 5, 2009, 09:15 PM

The green to the Rh and the white to the W seems to be working. I wonder why if red is the universal hot then why the installer (before I lived here) used the green and white.

Dec 5, 2009, 09:18 PM
    I cannot answer that question since I did not install it. LOL

Dec 5, 2009, 10:06 PM

At any rate.. thanks. The heat is running... and shutting off too. 25 and snowing in beautiful Westchester County, NY right now.

Dec 5, 2009, 10:34 PM
    Stay warm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installed new honeywell rth 7500 thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I recently installed a honeywell rth7500 thermostat and am not sure if it is correct. The old thermostat is a GE, not sure how old. I have a heatpump system (Goodman A61-20) I wired it as follows: Old R(red)- new R Old O(orange) - new O/B Old G(green) - new G Old Y(yellow) - new Y Old...

Honeywell RTH7000 prog. Thermo and Goodman CPLE 24-1B Issue [ 12 Answers ]

OK I have replaced my old thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH 7000 I have installed all the 7 wires correctly but it is not working correctly. I have a Goodman CPLE 24-1B which I believe is an electric Heat pump. Setting 170 at 7 and 190 for electric. Seems to blow cool air (not cold) when on cool...

Trane heat pump /rite temp thermo [ 1 Answers ]

Heat auto shutoff won't work. Just put rite-temp thermo on. C w2 rc o b rh w y g a Bl o r w/b y g There is a jumper between rc and rh. Rite temp 8050C. Please help me.

Installed Honeywell RTH3100C and A/C kicks on after a few minutes of heat [ 8 Answers ]

I have a single stage heat pump. Electric. I'm not sure what I have done wrong. I have the following wires: Yellow White Red Green According to the installation manual, I have installed them in the following locations:

View more questions Search