Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jo!!! Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 09:02 AM
    A decent hard boiled egg
    Why is it that sometimes when you boil an egg and then leave it to cool before peeling the shell, the shell sometimes comes off nice and clean and you end up with a whole egg yet other times a lot of the white of the egg comes away with the shell and you end up with a mishaped and half the white gone egg? What causes this to happen?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2009, 11:19 AM

I'm not sure why it happens,but if you put the boiled eggs into cold water for a few minutes the shell comes off easily.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2009, 11:43 AM

I don't know either. But the other day I didn't have time to do anything with them after I boiled them. So I just put them in the fridge and when I came back home that night the shells came off really easily. So I think the trick must be cooling them off, like red suggested.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2009, 10:37 AM
    I always make a couple extra, just in case they all have to be pretty:)

Usually there is one in the bunch that just doesn't want to cooperate:rolleyes:
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2009, 11:43 AM

Could also be to the freshness of the egg itself.

When worked in restaurants, we would bring water to full boil then put in eggs and let that go for 13 min and then drain and put eggs in iced water.

This helps as depending on situation, there may need to be 'Many' eggs needed to be peeled and it seems to make it easier for the person peeling the eggs.
    freedhardwoods Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Dec 16, 2009, 01:23 PM

My wife takes them straight out of the boiling water and puts them in a pan of ice water. They peel real easy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Egg smell on plates [ 4 Answers ]

There is an egg-like smess on ceramic dishes and in glasses after washing. Washing in sink with dawn removes smell. What is it? What do I do. (This is an older GE Potscrubber 900 model.):confused:

Hard boiled eggs [ 29 Answers ]

Any tips how to make it easier to remove the shells from Hard boiled eggs?

Hard boiled eggs [ 2 Answers ]

Can you freeze hard boiled eggs

How long are hard boiled eggs safe for consumption [ 1 Answers ]

How long are refrigerated hard boiled eggs still in the shell good? How long before they are no longer safe or good to eat?

View more questions Search