Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    papermakers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 08:44 PM
    Leaking pipes under shower
    When I turn the water on to take a shower it leaks underneath to my basement ceiling. But when I run the water to take a bath it doesn't leak. It only leaks when I take a shower, could this be a bad diverter valve or lose shower head fitting, I have opened up the ceiling in my basement to see if I can find the leak but I can't really see where it is coming from. Should I make a hole in the wall hext to the shower head to see if I can see the leak? Should I call a plumber? Thank you
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Nov 29, 2009, 09:03 PM

Before making any holes, check that the shower head is not leaking where it is connected to the pipe sticking out of the wall. If it is loose, you could have a small amount of water spraying back to the wall causing the leak downstairs. If it is leaking, a little teflon and a pipe wrench will do the trick.

Also, since this appears to be a tub/shower combo, there might be an access port on the wall behind the tub spout that could give you the visibility you need to find the leak. Finally, the decorative plate behind the water knob is probably only held on by 2 screws - you may be able to remove it and see what is happening in there.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 30, 2009, 08:23 AM

The chances are strong that this is a leaking diverter or the shower arm like dmrlook suspects. Befire starting any repair turn the shower on and catch all of the water in a big bucket with no spray of splash on the walls. If there is no leak then you may have some bad grout of caulking in the enclosure. If there is a leak remove the handle and the esctcheon plate to inspect the mixng valve. Let us know if the valve is wet or if the pipe going up from the valve is wet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it a Leaking shower PIPE? Or bad plastic pipes bursting? [ 5 Answers ]

We bought a 15 year old house with 3.5 bathrooms. Every last bathroom has water leak issues to some degree. Either the toilets barely flush and you need to hold the handle down forever, or the faucets drip beneath the cabinets. One bathtub drips out of it's spout. But the worst of all is the...

Leaking shower head & noisy pipes [ 5 Answers ]

Our house is about 40 years old and in our master bathroom we have only a stand-up shower and I just started hearing a leak from the shower head unit. I am going to assume that something has happened which is preventing me from being able to completely turn off the hot and/or cold water. About...

Leaking shower pipes [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very unusual problem. On the left and right side of my shower cubical on the outisde walls where they are bricked in the bricks just in the mid centre of the wall (only) are getting a damp and bobbling patch. I have no idea what could cause these isolated 'damp' patches on the brickwork....

Leaking shower drain/pipes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. This looks to be a great forum! I'm glad my search pulled it up. I have a 2nd story shower leak. Directly below the shower is the laundry room and has the furnace ducts/furnace directly below. I've already decided I'll have to remove the ducts and open the ceiling to see what is...

Leaking pipes [ 1 Answers ]

My best guess is that poor original work opened up a leak in response to heat or mechanical stress working on the other line. You need to drain the system, pull the leaking joint apart, clean it up good, and resolder it. I have actually had a pipe pull clear out of a fitting when I tried to make...

View more questions Search