Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troj Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 04:12 PM
    How to get ITIN numbers for family members with H-2B visa?
    Hi everybody,

My friend was here on an H-2B visa for 8 months in 2006.
    He is married with two kids.
    He supposes to file RESIDENT federal tax return based on IRS present test.
    (More than 183 days in USA)

My question is:
    How he can get an ITIN number for his wife and two kids?
    I know that he have to submit W-7 form along with his tax return.
    What he have to mention there as a reason? (I thing is “C”)
    Please,advice me.
    What supporting papers he have to submit to get the ITIN numbers?
    Does he can get also a standart deduction for his wife or no?
    He can claim the kids as dependent only,right?

Just to mention that he is from Serbia.

Thank you,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 10, 2006, 05:51 PM
    He can get ITINs for his wife and children regardless of how he files. The best support document is a notarized photocopy of the wife's and childrne's passports.

Even though he has met substantial presence, he is still considered a non-resident 0r dual-status alien if he spends one day as a non-resident alien. On either return, he CANNOT claim the standard deduction.

If he and his wife are in the United States the last 31 days of the year (month of December), then they file as resident aliens. Otherwise, they should file as dual-status aliens.
    troj Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    He can get ITINs for his wife and children regardless of how he files. The best support document is a notarized photocopy of the wife's and childrne's passports.

Even though he has met substantial presence, he is still considered a non-resident 0r dual-status alien if he spends one day as a non-resident alien. On either return, he CANNOT claim the standard deduction.

If he and his wife are in the United States the last 31 days of the year (month of December), then they file as resident aliens. Otherwise, they should file as dual-status aliens.
    He was the only one who was in USA.
    His family was never in USA during this 8 months.
    That is why I am asking if it's possible to get ITIN numbers for them.

Thank you for your help
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 12, 2006, 03:35 PM
    If the wife and children are NOT with him, he cannot claim them as dependents!

Sorry about that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1, Spouse on L2 ITIN Filing - Visa or I797A? [ 5 Answers ]

I am on L1 and have SSN. My wife is on L2 and does not have SSN. This is the first time I am filing under Married status. I am preparing Form W7 to be filed with Form 1040-EZ. Instructions for Form W7 Box 6C says enter nonimmigrant visa information, number and expiry date. Since our original...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Eviction of family members [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my mother has an apartment with only her name on the lease , problem my sister and niece who are both grown have move in with her ,can I have them remove/evicted without my mothers consent or do I need to talk with the landlord or do I need my mothers consent to do this. Please help me with this...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

Federal Forms for a F1 Visa to H1 VISA [ 5 Answers ]

I understand many people are in the same boat and I am also in the Same boat as all. Let me present my case and have it clear understanding for all First I was on OPT status from 1st January 2004 to 13th Oct 2004. I changed my status from F1 -> H1B on 14th Oct 2004. Hence my status from 14th...

View more questions Search