Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mistique Posts: 145, Reputation: 11

Nov 23, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Family Relationship
    Last Tuesday my brother calls my husband and tells him he is having some issues with his ex (which he is staying with until his renovations on his house are done), his ex is going out and not really participating and he has had enough (which I don't blame him for) and if he could stay at our house for a couple of weeks until he finds a place to rent. So I called him back and said okay for 2 weeks to a month but out before Christmas and I want my own space.

My house has two adults and two young children, a smaller living space and is very well kept, clean and I have nice things in it. So they started staying here starting on Thursday. It was okay since his son goes to school during the week... but then the weekend came! Horrible! Now I have a 10 month old, a 3 year old and a 9 year old. This is way too much for me... I have no idea how single moms do it with 4 kids... really!

The thing is this, the 9 year old does not listen to me, talks back to me and has a smart mouth. At his dad's house the boy cleaned and everything but at my house; opposite. He knows how to clean up after himself. I had to re-educate him about potty training and he was not impressed (neither am I if it is on the floor, toilet and wall - you know boys :)). My husband works a lot so I have NO expectations of him. Now that I have two more people in the household I just say, respect each other and clean up after yourself as my house is not a barn and you are not a guest; you are staying here very short term and in this time there is a few things I expect so we can all get along and I am not overextended. I still clean up after everyone... regardless of what I initially said and I am wearing down thin... plus cooking double.

I don't want to be a free babysitter;
    I don't want to take on a role of being a mom (I have two really, really, really small kids of my own);
    I don't want to overexert myself;
    I don't want my house to be a mess;
    I don't want to be talked back at;
    I don't mind making supper but then everyone knows where the dishwasher is right?

My brother is very clean and stands beside my decisions and how I run things (he appreciates the cleanliness and big dinners)... his son isn't behaving at my place but did at his own place. Okay if I know it will be a definitive time (2 weeks - I can survive) but my brother isn't clear.

Should I just stay reserved until two weeks pass and see how I feel? Or tell him out by a specific date? I just want to make it work for two weeks (I don't think I can last a month)... after that I want to enjoy the rest of my leave before I go back to work... which is soon and I was hoping for a peaceful Christmas.

What do I do? Or am I over-reacting? I know how to deal with children just not big ones that aren't mine... help!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2009, 11:10 AM

Communication is key here. You can not allow things to bottle up. Talk to your brother about his son's behavior. Let him know that if this is going to work - the boy needs to respect that he is in YOUR home and this is what is expected of him.

I have a 9 year old - they are perfectly capable of doing their chores, listening (even though they don't want to) and not back talking. This is your house so YOUR rules.

From the sounds of it - your brother gets it - so talk to him. And if you let him know ahead of time that 2 weeks to a month TOPS - he knows.

Nov 23, 2009, 11:50 AM
    I tried communicating (showing love and compassion). He does not respect me (never has for example - he rolls his eyes and sighs) and is pushing boundaries. I honestly think the boy could care less about how I feel and that it is my house and how busy I am with my own children... he isn't my son to be disciplining or cleaning after! He is a smart kid... really cute and very affectionate... just the things he does to push my buttons - I think he does it on purpose :) It's like even when he talks to daddy (in one ear and out the other).

So I talked to daddy and took your advice! I think the boy is going back to his moms and my brother is going to stay with us for 2 weeks to a month... I said until before Christmas and said you should have most of your renno's done by then and have some peace and quiet for Christmas yourself.

Thanks for the reassurance and advice.

Nov 24, 2009, 09:15 AM

I looked into my nephews backpack to see what he is learning at school and found a letter from the school advising of December programs. I researched the school and found it, it is a school where children with relationship/social/family or behavioral problems or more specifically help for children that are ASD or ADD. My brother told me he was ADD... I guess if I would have known that in advance that would have been nice :) - that explains a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend fighting with her family, needs space from relationship [ 3 Answers ]

First time question, try to keep it brief. I have been dating a single mom of a 2 1/2 year old for 3 months. She is 27 and I'm 31.Recently she had to move back in with her parents and family. About three weeks ago she begin fighting with both her parents and sisters, about whether she was living...

Family intervening in relationship [ 7 Answers ]

I have been with my girlfriend for 3 years now. I am 26 and she is 27. Her and I have been discussing marriage. I love her a lot, but feel as if her family is asserting themselves too much into my life. The other day her parents told her that she doesn't spend a lot of time with them since she...

He wants to go away with family while our relationship is stressed! [ 1 Answers ]

I have been with my fiancé for about two years now we are not young we each have three kids a piece his are grown and in college my oldest is in college while my two others are at home with us. We are planning to get married next year and this is one of the most secure healthy relationships I have...

My boyfriend is not letting our relationship go farther.like telling his family. [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so my boyfriend (24) and I(20) have been together 5 months now and at first it was great he was fun and always wanted me around he even asked me to move in with him really early on, and I did. It was all fine untill recently I feel like every morning I give up, and every night when he comes home...

Our relationship will never be welcomed by family.. [ 14 Answers ]

My first boyfriend cheated on me so bad. He had sex with a girl he met through chat. It broke my heart when I found out on his birthday while having dinner. I tried getting him back by talking to that girl but it never worked. I cried into pieces and realized it was something I couldn't let pass. ...

View more questions Search