Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    epawls Posts: 103, Reputation: 16

Nov 23, 2009, 10:08 AM
    Divorce-what not to do
    So... looks like the differences are irreconcilable. Divorce is imminent. First and only child is on the way.

What are the do's and dont's as far as pre-divorce strategy goes. I live in Pa. Is there anything I should steer clear of. I haven't even consulted an attorney yet, but it is coming.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2009, 10:25 AM

Well, first thing to know is that its going to take a while. I do not believe they will let you get divorced while she is pregnant.

DO: hire a lawyer
    DONT: make it any harder than it needs to be
    DO: realize that you child is not a pawn or something to be used as a bargaining chip
    DONT: ever mistake the fact that although you are divorced, that doesn't change the fact that you are and always will be a parent

Nov 23, 2009, 10:35 AM

Yeah... I get all of that...

I'm aware that I need an attorney. I am remaining level headed... I need advice on what to do or not to do/say, not to say to her regarding the impending divorce...

I didn't start this thread asking for parenting advice. I am no child and I am aware of my responsibilities as a parent.

Please... stick to the question.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2009, 05:20 PM

You can file for divorce even if the child is not born yet but the divorce cannot come to a conclusion until the child is here.

You didn't say anything about real estate/home, etc. but those things need to be ironed out with an attorney's help.

You need to get the child support issue taken care of in writing prior to the child's birth.

You need to ask a specific question - not just what to do/not do please.

Nov 23, 2009, 06:31 PM

OK... there is a home that I own and have owned for years prior to even meeting her. The house is in my name. We have only been married for 2 months... I just need to take it one step at a time... im still just trying to pick up the pieces and really need to know where to start. I know... the attorney... but what steps aside from that can I take to ensure a positive outcome, if any..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2009, 06:34 PM

You consult with an Attorney and do whatever he/her tells you - that advice will be based on the laws in your State and your particular situation.

There is no hard and fast rule here.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 06:39 PM

If its only been 2 months then get an annulment. There hasn't been enough time for a divorce.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 06:48 PM

A attorney is the first step always.

But then my first wife, cleaned out the bank accounts, took all of the items out of safety deposit boxes ( in the 10's of thousands of dollars in value) and sold all the funiture when I was out of town. So I guess it all depends on what "first" you want to do
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2009, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    A attorney is the first step always.

But then my first wife, cleaned out the bank accounts, took all of the items out of safety deposit boxes ( in the 10's of thousands of dollars in value) and sold all the funiture when I was out of town. So I guess it all depends on what "first" you want to do

Oh my gosh!

I once did a background check in the middle of a divorce, attempting to see what the Plaintiff wife had been "up to" prior to the marriage. The Defendant husband got home - they lived in a rural area - and discovered the house empty... and the cows gone!

Yes, she sold the farm's cows.

I still find that unbelievable but he was gone for a week and during that time another dairy farmer came on by, paid for them and took them.

Amazing because the farmers actually knew each other - but it happened.
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2009, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Oh my gosh!

I once did a background check in the middle of a divorce, attempting to see what the Plaintiff wife had been "up to" prior to the marriage. The Defendant husband got home - they lived in a rural area - and discovered the house empty ... and the cows gone!

Yes, she sold the farm's cows.

I still find that unbelievable but he was gone for a week and during that time another dairy farmer came on by, paid for them and took them.

Amazing because the farmers actually knew each other - but it happened.
    I guess that proves that friends are friends but when it comes to cows all bets are off!
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2009, 07:34 PM

Since you say you were only married 2 months may I suggest that once the child is born that a DNA test be performed to make sure the child is yours?

Also, since you owned the home prior to your marriage you should not have to part with it having such a short marriage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stopped the 1st divorce but want a divorce again [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. My husband filed for divorce in August of 2008 in NJ. We went to court on the day we were supposed to complete our divorce to speak to the judge. We stopped the divorce. The judge was happy for us and ripped up the papers. When we originally filed, we paid someone to file the paperwork for...

Filing 4 divorce but reconcile then divorce @ a later time - dividing the property [ 18 Answers ]

I never heard of this before but my friend filed for divorce in 89 but reconciled a few months later. Flash forward 20 yrs & she decides to divorce him again. She went back for the kids & tried to make it work. However, when she went 4 this divorce she was told that they could divide the property...

I want a divorce [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Georgia. My husband had an affair which lead to an outside child. We have been separated for 6 months. We also have a 4 year old for whom he has paid no child support. I want an uncontested divorce because its cheaper, but he says that he won't sign the papers. What can I do?

View more questions Search