Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alex_ferguson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 02:05 PM
    Momentum
    I need help with the following questions:

A 3kg ball is at rest. A 2kg ball, moving at 3 m/s, collides with it. The balls do not stick together, they move off separately. There is no friction or rolling.

a. What is the initial momentum of the 2kg ball?
    b. If the 3kg ball moves off with a velocity of 1 m/s, calculate the momentum of this ball
    c. State the combined momentum of the 2 spheres after they collide
    d. Calculate the velocity of the 2kg ball after the collision
    e. Calculate the initial kinetic energy of the 2kg ball
    f. Calculate the final combined kinetic energy of the two balls
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2006, 01:19 AM
    Hi Alex

I don't want to give too much away, as the questions are simple, and I'm sure you have all the know-how you need to answer.

Just remember that the momentum p = mv
    and that momentum within a closed system is constant, that is to say that the combined momentum of both balls before the collision is equal to the combined momentum of both balls after collision.

draw a diagram for before and after collision, work out m and v for each ball before and after from what you're given, then you should be able to work out the other values from the information I have given you.

Kinetic energy KE = 1/2mv^2, so once you have the information above, you can work that out too.

Good luck, if you have any problems be sure to reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Momentum [ 1 Answers ]

Which bullet is better to hunt a bear? A lead bullet or a rubber bullet with the same mass. Explain your answer.

Momentum help [ 1 Answers ]

;D Sorry if I sound very stupid... A golfer hits a golf ball of mass 51g and the ball leaves the club with a velocity of 80m/s. Assuming that the ball and club are in contact for 0.0006s, find the ball's final momentum and the average force exerted by the club on the ball Next : diver dive...

View more questions Search