Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1134Ray Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 04:18 PM
    1992 honda civic will not start and has no spark
    My 1992 Honda civic turns over but will not start. I have pulled out a spark plug, grounded it and turned the engine over and no spark. I have checked the coil and it seems to be fine. Can you help?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 04:58 PM

If the CEL comes on and goes off normally, replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Nov 21, 2009, 05:23 PM
    The engine lite stays on too. Does this mak a difference?
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 06:03 PM

Yes.

When you turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II), does the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on and then go off after 2 seconds? If not, the problem is with the ACG (ALT) (S) fuse, in the under dash fuse/relay box; ECM (perform the K-Test); main relay; or the ignition switch. Perform tests in that order.

Nov 21, 2009, 06:36 PM
    No the light stays on. Its late now but I will check asap and get back with you. Thank you for your help. I do have a book and I do most of my own mechanic work but this on is kicking my butt.

Nov 21, 2009, 06:45 PM
    To give you more history, I drove it from work to home and it ran great. I went into the house 20 min later came out and won't start. Days prior to this I was noticing that it wasn't starting every time I turned the key.
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 08:38 PM

That's the way these sagas always begin. Odds are pretty high the ECM failed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1992 Honda Civic cranks but won't start. No spark! [ 11 Answers ]

My car died. It has no spark. I have changed the following parts to resolve this issue with no luck: Distributor(all internal parts are new)Coil, ICM, everything. ECM Main Relay I checked my MAP Sensor, and it is getting between 3 and 5 volts. I ran a jumper wire to get the codes out of my...

1992 Honda Civic won't start, no spark, lotsa $$ and time [ 20 Answers ]

BRAND NEW member here, I feel very lucky to have found this site and am hoping for some guidance! I've followed virtually every shred of advice I've read on this site in trying to fix a 92 Civic... checked and replaced the main relay (got new one at Honda dealer parts counter), the ECM (put in...

1992 Honda Civic DX no spark [ 6 Answers ]

I just found this site and it is great. I do have to say, you all are more then willing to help everyone. I just got a 1992 Honda civic DX, 1.5L Auto, 200K miles from a friend for nothing. It sat for two years but I was able to get it running and it ran good. After I changed the alternator,...

1992 honda civic spark problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1992 honda civic and I have no power to the fuel pump and no spark. But I did check the wire plug in to the distributer and there is power to the plugin.

1992 honda civic no spark what do I do? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a honda civic It will turn over but no spark . What do I do first.

View more questions Search