Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catsmine's Avatar
    Catsmine Posts: 3,827, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert
     
    #21

    Nov 28, 2009, 10:26 AM
    You guys can have this thread. A very good friend of mine, whom I owed my life to, was an Embassy guard in '79 when Khomeni's followers beat him to death with clubs for trying to keep them out with an unloaded weapon. My views on Persia crystallized when I heard about it.

    You really don't need to hear my opinions on this topic. Have fun.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member
     
    #22

    Nov 28, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    You guys can have this thread. A very good friend of mine, whom I owed my life to, was an Embassy guard in '79 when Khomeni's followers beat him to death with clubs for trying to keep them out with an unloaded weapon. My views on Persia crystallized when I heard about it. You really don't need to hear my opinions on this topic.
    Hello again, Cats:

    Please don't buy into the mistaken belief of thinking that because I want to engage them, that I think any more of them than you do. I'm a Jew, for crying out loud. The Iranian bastards are threatening MY family directly. So, don't go thinking you're the only victim here.

    Yes, I DO want to hear your opinions on this topic. Like I asked George, what do you want YOUR COUNTRY to do. Notice, that I'm NOT asking what YOU want to do.

    excon
    Catsmine's Avatar
    Catsmine Posts: 3,827, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert
     
    #23

    Nov 28, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Yes, I DO want to hear your opinions on this topic. Like I asked George, what do you want YOUR COUNTRY to do. Notice, that I'm NOT asking what YOU want to do.

    excon
    The same thing I wanted my country to do when I was sitting on the tarmac trying to sneak aboard with the battalion ready response team.

    NUKE THEM TIL THEY GLOW AND SHOOT THEM IN THE DARK

    I want to kill them and kill them and kill them and keep on killing them until, in the words of the poet, God cries out in horror and the sun bleeds.
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member
     
    #24

    Nov 28, 2009, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    The same thing I wanted my country to do when I was sitting on the tarmac trying to sneak aboard with the battalion ready response team.

    NUKE THEM TIL THEY GLOW AND SHOOT THEM IN THE DARK

    I want to kill them and kill them and kill them and keep on killing them until, in the words of the poet, God cries out in horror and the sun bleeds.
    This would be AFTER excon read them their constitutional rights, correct?
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member
     
    #25

    Nov 28, 2009, 11:57 AM

    Hello again,

    MY knee jerks that way as well.

    But, considering the Iranian civilians, who number 72 million, and considering that more than two-thirds of them (47 million) are under the age of 30, who have NO memory of the hostage takeover, I'd hold back...

    Being a Jew, I'm loathe to inflict a holocaust upon them.

    You, not so much.

    excon
    Catsmine's Avatar
    Catsmine Posts: 3,827, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert
     
    #26

    Nov 28, 2009, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again,

    MY knee jerks that way as well.

    But, considering the Iranian civilians, who number 72 million, and considering that more than two-thirds of them (47 million) are under the age of 30, who have NO memory of the hostage takeover, I'd hold back...

    Being a Jew, I'm loathe to inflict a holocaust upon them.

    You, not so much.

    excon
    I had a hope that I could let go of this anger after their "election," but alas the totalitarian heretics hiding behind a religious mask kept control of the country.
    galveston's Avatar
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60
    Full Member
     
    #27

    Nov 28, 2009, 03:20 PM

    Nobody asked me what I would want my country to do, nevertheless - - - .

    First, I would get out of Israel's way and let them do what they have to do to survive. I would let them know that we would support them, at least politically, whatever they did to stop the Iranian nuclear progress.

    The very threat of that made public just might bring enough pressure on Iran.

    I think that might come under the heading of diplomacy.
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member
     
    #28

    Nov 28, 2009, 03:49 PM

    "A conservative Iranian legislator warned Saturday that his country may pull out of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty after a U.N. resolution censuring Tehran — a move that could seriously undermine world attempts to prevent Iran from developing atomic weapons." Iranian lawmaker: Iran could leave nuclear treaty - Yahoo! News
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member
     
    #29

    Nov 28, 2009, 03:51 PM
    The solution to this problem is simple: Fire one shot across the Iranian bow, then deliver an ultimatum - open everything for inspection, or else.
    paraclete's Avatar
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member
     
    #30

    Nov 28, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    The solution to this problem is simple: Fire one shot across the Iranian bow, then deliver an ultimatum - open everything for inspection, or else.
    Gunboat diplomacy hasnever solved anything
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member
     
    #31

    Nov 28, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Gunboat diplomacy hasnever solved anything
    It ended WWII, amigo. Although, President Dither probably thinks it was a racist outcome.
    paraclete's Avatar
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member
     
    #32

    Nov 28, 2009, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    It ended WWII, amigo. Although, President Dither probably thinks it was a racist outcome.
    I think you confuse war with diplomacy. War begins when diplomacy ceases.
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member
     
    #33

    Nov 28, 2009, 10:53 PM

    You confuse 'gunboat diplomacy' with getting results and saving lives. You could argue that Bush 43 used 'gunboat' diplomacy; I'm not nearly as sweet. And those in Iran who hunger for freedom would be grateful.
    tomder55's Avatar
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 342
    Ultra Member
     
    #34

    Nov 29, 2009, 04:08 AM

    Yes ;the IAEA has been so effective to this point in stopping the Iranian nuclear efforts that of course we should rely on them to continue to be the point of pressure.

    Let me ask ;why was there a secret site that the IAEA either did not know about ;or more likely covered up ? They are supposedly the watchdogs .

    The Iranian response ? They threatened to pull out of the NPT. Then what ? What type of international efforts do you see happening then ? Will Russia suddenly stop selling them gasoline and weapons ? What makes anyone think they would ?

    Also I think China has gone as far as they will in applying pressure . I think they believe their access to Iranian oil a more pressing domestic priority.

    From an American perspective I have to wonder what the President promised China in return for their support for this largely symbolic gesture .
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member
     
    #35

    Nov 29, 2009, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    ...

    Also I think China has gone as far as they will in applying pressure . I think they believe their access to Iranian oil a more pressing domestic priority.

    From an American perspective I have to wonder what the President promised China in return for their support for this largely symbolic gesture .
    The Chinese are willing participants in propping up Nobel winner, President Dither, as he wistfully tarries down PC Lane in pre 9/11 mentality.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member
     
    #36

    Nov 29, 2009, 07:38 AM

    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    The Chinese are willing participants in propping up Nobel winner, President Dither, as he wistfully tarries down PC Lane in pre 9/11 mentality.
    Hello again, George:

    Dude. I have never seen anybody this the pres THAT many times with so few words. That's got to be a record... You managed to say he's propped up by our antagonists, he dithers, he's politically correct, and he's a terrorist sympathizer.

    If what you REALLY want to do here is this Obama, promote the nuking of Iran, and NOT discuss anything, then why don't you just be out front about it?

    Of course, maybe, like Sarah Palin, there ain't nothing there except Republican talking points.

    excon
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member
     
    #37

    Nov 29, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, George:

    Dude. I have never seen anybody dis the pres THAT many times with so few words...

    excon
    You know, excon, you are an inspiration to many. However, I don't read, use, or need GOP talking points, ever. Let me know if you ever get a whif of plagiarism.

    Napoleon said something like, "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." President Dither has become China's useful idiot. If that offends you, I am sorry. But the rain is wet and grass is, most often, green. China is growing itself into an industrial and military power while sucking the life-blood out of the USA; why would the Chinese discourage that? "China is the largest emitter of greenhouse gases and has not set a cap on its emissions, believing it needs to continue to expand its economy and lift millions out of poverty." Further, "The Wall Street Journal reports that China is very serious about a global agreement on emissions reductions — very serious — especially that part about receiving technology and financing from the developed world."
    China’s Pre-Copenhagen Panhandling - Edward John Craig - Planet Gore on National Review Online
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member
     
    #38

    Nov 29, 2009, 10:02 AM

    Meanwhile, "The Iranian government approved a plan Sunday to build 10 new uranium enrichment facilities, a dramatic expansion in defiance of U.N. demands it halt the program.

    "The decision comes only two days after the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency censured Iran, demanding it immediately stop building a newly revealed enrichment facility near the holy city of Qom and freeze all uranium enrichment activities." http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091129/...l_iran_nuclear

    Golf, anyone?
    galveston's Avatar
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60
    Full Member
     
    #39

    Nov 29, 2009, 04:21 PM

    Since (not if) diplomatic efforts have failed, the next step might well be a naval blockade of Iran, and at the same time do whatever possible to stop international commerce with Iran. Maybe something financial?

    Humanitarian aid might be excepted if it could be determined that Iran was not tradiing food for weapons.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member
     
    #40

    Nov 29, 2009, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    Since (not if) diplomatic efforts have failed,
    Hello again, gal:

    I didn't notice that they failed. You don't really expect them to roll over just because we started talking to them, do you? It takes a little time...

    Besides, the Israelis won't let them get a nuke. George thinks that we're somehow stopping them from going in. I don't think that's so at all. Therefore, we could play good cop, bad cop with the Iranians, and we could walk away clean if and when Israel attacks.

    excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

How about Obama naming the Rev. Jeremiah Wright as special envoy to Iran? [ 2 Answers ]

Obama should have the courage of his convictions, send the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, with Hillary, backed up by the Dixie Chicks and the remaining GITMO detainees. Heck, throw in Jimmy Carter, as well. "US President Barack Obama's offer to talk to Iran shows that America's policy of "domination" has...

Obama and Iran [ 29 Answers ]

This news report was from my Comcast server so I don't offer a link. One of my fears about Obama and his lack of political experience is regarding Iran and it's insistence to continue it's nuclear activities. Obama went to speak with Ahmadinejad with the belief that talking will calm him down....


View more questions Search