Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CAROLJESTERKIL Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Nov 17, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Child support determined
    How do courts determine child support of an non-custodial parent he is on Social Security and veterans benefits. I have looked at the child support guidelines but I could not find any information pertaining to my question.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 05:54 PM

Each state has its own formulas. It is in GA for example based on both parents incomes. In some states it is based on household income.

And it is also based on other factors, some will also award child care expenses, medical care and more
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 06:03 PM
    <moved to Family Law<
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 06:05 PM

Also in some states for ssi or ssdi they are treated differently. Are we talking about current child support or arrears ?

Nov 17, 2009, 06:18 PM

Hello I am talking about current child support that has not been established as of today I am just wondering how much my son will receive because his father is unable to work and is a retire vetnam vet

Nov 17, 2009, 06:42 PM
    Establishing child support
    Will I receive child support from the time I filed which is April/May 2009? Or will I receive child support from the date is determined in court. The date to establish child support is Dec 4, 2009
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 06:45 PM

Yes, no and maybe. You ask for it from the date you filed. And when the court finally rules, it is what they say.

It is normally form the date you file.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CAROLJESTERKIL View Post
    Hello I am talking about current child support that has not been established as of today I am just wondering how much my son will receive because his father is unable to work and is a retire vetnam vet
    Firstly, we need to know what state you are in. Every state varies. Also, we are not attorneys and you should really contact a family law attorney in your area for the most accurate advice.

Nov 17, 2009, 07:08 PM

I live in Arkansas
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 10:13 PM

What type of Social Security is he on? If it is SSI then child support won't be ordered (if that is his only income) any ssi is not counted toward income when figuring child support. Do you know how much he receives? And again what type of social security?

Nov 18, 2009, 07:51 AM

I don't know he is soon to be 63 years old so he must be on SS not SSI but not for sure
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 08:00 AM

Do you have any idea how much he gets each month? Each state has an online version (each state that I've looked for anyway) of the support calculator that you can imput all of the information and it will give you a good guess as to how much to expect but you have to have the right data to imput for it to be reliable.

Nov 18, 2009, 09:10 AM

He says he gets 3000 a month but that includes ss. And veteran retirement benefits. I just don't know how it calculates because those are considered provisions when I researched to find information pertaining to this question
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 09:30 AM

Your best bet it to call a local attorney's office. You can ask them his forms of income are considered income for child support purposes in your state. The attorney's office may give you that information over the phone with out charge (some of course will want to set up a meeting with you to make some money). I honestly, don't know too much about veteran retirement benefits when it comes to support because the only people I know of that receive those benefits were still married and didn't have to come close to child support. Did you try to look up your states support calculator? On that same site there should be links to define income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

How is child support $ determined? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I live in Texas and are curious how is the amount of child support determined? Per my previous post we are assuming that an all out war is about to commence with his ex if we pursue collection for her violation of the divorce decree and we are having to pay for her debts. We...

View more questions Search