Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juliemaeburd5 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Child support after the age of 18
    My husband has been paying child support faithfully to his ex-wife for approximately 12 years. His son turns 18 in April of 2009. However, his son will not be graduating High School on time. He will not be graduating until December of 2009 instead of June of 2009. Does my husband still have to pay child support after his son turns 18 in this case? We live in the State of Connecticut.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 01:04 PM

Connecticut Law states as follows: "(b) If there is an unmarried child of the marriage who has attained the age of eighteen, is a full-time high school student and resides with a parent, the parents shall maintain the child according to their respective abilities if the child is in need of maintenance until such time as such child completes the twelfth grade or attains the age of nineteen, whichever first occurs. The provisions of this subsection shall apply only in cases where the decree of dissolution of marriage, legal separation or annulment is entered on or after July 1, 1994."

It also states that the age at which support stops can be modified/changed by a separation agreement or divorce. What do the divorce papers say?

Here is much more info: Child Support in Connecticut
    juliemaeburd5 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Connecticut Law states as follows: "(b) If there is an unmarried child of the marriage who has attained the age of eighteen, is a full-time high school student and resides with a parent, the parents shall maintain the child according to their respective abilities if the child is in need of maintenance until such time as such child completes the twelfth grade or attains the age of nineteen, whichever first occurs. The provisions of this subsection shall apply only in cases where the decree of dissolution of marriage, legal separation or annulment is entered on or after July 1, 1994."

It also states that the age at which support stops can be modified/changed by a separation agreement or divorce. What do the divorce papers say?

Here is much more info: Child Support in Connecticut
    Thank you. I had the dates wrong it was supposed to be April and Dec of 2010. The divorce papers just stated age of eighteen. It never stipulated about still being in High School.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

New child support -VS- Back child support [ 24 Answers ]

In California, My ex and I divorced in 2003, then my daughter ages 14 & 11 live with me until the ages of 19 & 15, my youngest moved to live with her Mom in 2008 because of failing grades. The whole time my daughters lived with me I never asked their Mom for Child Support, But now in 2009 my...

View more questions Search