Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbfinney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2009, 03:25 PM
    Four way light fixture fails to function
    I have an entry way ceiling light that we are replacing. That light is controlled by three other switches and works fine. I removed the old light from the ceiling and installed a new light. The old light had many wires coming out of it, the new light fixture only has two. There are three wires coming out of the ceiling, red, copper and one either white or sprayed white. I hooked up the house copper wire to the loop that the light hangs from. I then hooked up the two brown wires from the ceiling lamp to the red and the other house wire. Pretty straight fwd.

Now, I try the light. Nothing happens, I replace the bulbs, nothing happens. I notice, when I am switching the light on and off, a light OUTSIDE is now turning on and off. All three switches that are supposed to control the entry way light are now turning on and off the light outside! The switch that controls the outside light still functions.

I removed the new light fixture, now, those three switches don't turn on the light outside, and the switch that controls the outside light functions as normal.

What is going on here? I understand how three and four way switches are installed, these switches should have nothing to do with the outside light... The only thing I can think of is the new light has no ground wire, I assume it relies on the metal in the fixture to provide a ground. If the new light fixture is not getting a good ground, would that cause the three switches to fail to operate the correct light and somehow interfer with the outside light?

The original light has a green/yellow wire, two blue wires and a brown wire. If I remember correctly, one of the brown and blue wires were together.

Is there a polarity issue? Grounding issue? I never messed with the switches at all.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace chain pull from light on light/fan fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I pulled the chain out of its housing that controls only the light on my kitchen light/fan fixture. I went to a hardware store and the clerk sold me a little fixture with three wires, pink, white and black. When I took my fixture apart, I found my fixture has a two wire little round thing where...

Pilot fails to light Carrier furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Carrier Weathermaker Infinity furnace, 16 yrs old. On start up furnace goes through correct sequence right up to pilot light ignition. There is gas coming from the pilot hole which I can light usinging a match, once lit the furnace will work properly. There does not appear to be any spark coming...

Bathroom fan/light fixture and other light [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathroom and am having trouble with the wiring of the switches. Existing wiring controlled an fan switch, separate switch for the light, a switch for vanity light and an outlet. I want to eliminate the outlet so need to wire the three switches separely in a 3 gang box. The wiring...

Changed from fan to light fixture and now light will not shut off [ 1 Answers ]

Today I tried to replace a ceiling fan to a light fixture. I connected the black to black white to white and copper to ground. I have a red wire that I don't know what goes to. The light now will not turn off. Should the red wire be connected to something?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.