Nov 13, 2009, 03:07 AM
    A Catholic ?
    What does it mean to be a Catholic?”
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLCAM View Post
    What does it mean to be a Catholic?”
    There are several meanings behind the word “catholic”. Capitalized as it is in the OP most members of the Catholic Church would assume it was a reference to the corporate body of the faithful. There is another meaning, katholikos which is Greek for 'universal'.

References to the 'Catholic Church' can be dated as far back as 180-200 A.D. in the Muratorian Fragment, a list of Scriptural cannon. This text makes references to books which “cannot be received in the Catholic Church.” As you might know, various different Rites developed over the millennia since Christ's ascension, with the Roman Rite, or the Roman Catholic Church being the most widely known. Those who profess the Catholic faith believe that the Catholic Church holds the means of salvation as a corporate body in the redemption of Christ. The 'Kingdom of God' and the 'Mystical Body of Christ' found in Scripture are interpreted as references to the Catholic Church.

The word 'Catholic' also refers to one of the four marks of the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church has four distinctive marks; it is one church, a holy church, a catholic church, and an apostolic church.

One, alludes to a unity of faith, worship and government held by Catholics. This unity doesn't necessarily refer to a political sense of loyalty, i.e. one for all, all for one.

Holy, refers to the sanctity that is produced in its members; a holiness that corresponds with the Church in a meaningful way.

Catholic or Universal is one characteristic of Christ's truth which is the sole guide to all attainable cosmic truth. It was costomary in Greece to describe any Christian Church as 'THE ONE CHURCH' or 'THE CHURCH'. In his Catechism St. Cyril of Jerusalem (347 A.D.) taught that it is" in one Holy Catholic Church; that you may avoid their wretched meetings [heretics], and ever abide with the Holy Church Catholic in which you were regenerated. And if ever you are sojourning in cities, inquire not simply where the Lord's House is (for the other sects of the profane also attempt to call their own dens houses of the Lord), nor merely where the Church is, but where is the Catholic Church. For this is the peculiar name of this Holy Church, the mother of us all, which is the spouse of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Only-begotten Son of God (for it is written, As Christ also loved the Church and gave Himself for it Ephesians 5:25, and all the rest,) and is a figure and copy of Jerusalem which is above, which is free, and the mother of us all Galatians 4:26; which before was barren, but now has many children.” CHURCH FATHERS: Catechetical Lecture 18 (Cyril of Jerusalem) So too, Catholic has become synonymous with the one true faith.

Apostolic is the identity with the Mystical Body of Christ. Christ commissioned the Apostles to baptize and teach. As you may recall from Scriptures, in part, the Apostles were to preach of the Kingdom of God, that is the Catholic Church.

To be Catholic means that you “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” in faith, hope, and charity for redemption brought us by Christ and ministered to us through the Mystical Body of Christ.

So, why are you asking?

JoeT
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2009, 09:57 PM

JoeT,

Thank you so much for your explanations.
    The reason is that I need to understand more
    In depth about it.

Rolcam
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2009, 10:49 PM
    Rolcam,
    To be a Catholic means to me that a member should go to Mass regularly, participate in the sacraments, worship God the trinity, believe that the bible is the inspired word of God,
    Obey the instructions in the bible and the morals the bible and the Church teaches such as abortion is the killing of a developing human person and as such a terrible sin.
    And that a Catholic should have an active working faith for a faith without good works is dead.
    And that a VERY GOOD Catholic should be well enough in the knowledge of the faith to be able to explain it well and defend it if necessary and also to be an evangelist spreading the good news of the gospel.
    So I do believe.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to be catholic, but don't know how to ask mom and dad [ 28 Answers ]

Okay, ill cut to the chase. I was baptised protestant. I go to our local tec college. Not special criteria like coe or catholic. About two years ago I made a lot of friends at our local catholic school through scouts. One of my friends asked if I wanted to start going to church with him. I agreed...

Catholic Confirmation [ 5 Answers ]

What will you have to do during Confirmation class and being Confirmed? And can your sponsors be relatives?

Catholic weddings outside? [ 2 Answers ]

My son and his girlfriend have just gotten engaged after going together for 4 years and I'm thrilled about it. With the engagement being just over a week old, the first dilemma has already surfaced. His fiancee's parents live in North Carolina and she wants to have an outdoor wedding there. They...

Catholic Myths [ 12 Answers ]

Good Morning, I am currently in a religion class and need some advice from experts on the Catholic religion. I figured who better to go to than a Catholic leader or advisor. My topic is Catholic myths and the truth about those myths. I have many friends from many different religions so I am not...

Catholic Religion [ 4 Answers ]

Im having family problems, someone told me to do a ritual by using yellow rose petals and whtie and put them through my house and pay and that will give me prosperity in my house! I just want to know if that is bad if its against my religion?? I'm so confused :/

View more questions Search