Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    getterdun Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Amp breakers
    I found my mom's submersible pump wired to a two single pole 20amp breakers and there is a double pole 30amp breaker on the bus panel as well. I already know that all 220volt leads need to be on a double pole breaker in case one leg grounds out. So I switch the wires over to the double pole 30amp breaker and tested the voltage with a volt meter and it has the 110 volts on each leg. However the pump will not run on the 30amp double pole breaker,and the pump has been running OK on the two single pole breakers! Should I have a 40amp double pole breaker installed?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 03:12 PM

You would be better served by calling a licensed electrician.

I'm not trying to be mean spirited but you cannot just switch to a higher amperage other than maybe to test the circuit and see if there is supply problem.

By NEC Code, you cannot use a 30 amp breaker to protect a 20 amp circuit. This is an electrical fire waiting to happen.

Also, FYI, 110 and 220 Voltages have gone by the wayside here in the U.S.A. The current values are 120 and 240. I'm guessing you are here.

240 VAC is derived by supplying two different phases together. That's why you will see a tandem breaker. The Top breaker connect one phase Black, and the bottom Red connects the second. Each phase is 120 VAC but since the phases are different between them they total out to 240 VAC.

When you measure the circuit with a meter, you measure each leg to the neutral post. They each should read 120 VAC. If you measure both legs, then you will see the 240 VAC.

I don't think I've ever seen a household submersible pump that required 240 VAC and 120 VAC. In my very limited experience they are 120 VAC 20 amp dedicated line.

Nov 12, 2009, 03:38 PM

Yes,Yes you are correct! So the when measuring both legs I get the 240 volts! I've been researching that a double pole 30amp cb is two 15amp is that correct? Then I'm thinking the 40amp cb will be two 20amps?

Nov 12, 2009, 03:47 PM
    Any how I'm wondering if the pump maybe pulling more amps, but hasn't tripped yet! I was wanting to get the pump on the correct cb!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 04:33 PM
    getterdun, I must say, you really need to get the basics down before you start (continue) messing around in a live electrical panel. You really do not know what you are doing.

First, you SHOULD NOT have move the wires from a 20A breaker to a 30. BIG mistake.

Second, NO, a double pole 20A breaker is NOT a 40A breaker. It is a double pole 20.

If the pump was on two SP 20's then you can replace them with a 2p20. Beyond that I would not move things around until you have a better idea about this work.

Nov 12, 2009, 04:49 PM

Yes sir, I have moved them back to where they were when the pump would not run and have not messed around with anything else. I'm waiting till I can find out about the cb. Thanks for your comments. This is really helpful!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 05:47 PM
    What kind of panel is it?

There are a couple of brands of panel where a two-pole breaker can be installed wrong.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2009, 05:50 PM
    Need photos to see what type of breakers, and how they are connected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Life everything within it around it & myself [ 8 Answers ]

My Life really not getting on that too much not enough room beyond that its has been nothing but confusion depression sadness pain more more more & more. However for some reason still here not for sure how much longer just as the next however with other info. Finding out and thing I do and have...

Sniffles & Makeup [ 2 Answers ]

I wonder if this happens to anyone else; and why it happens: After I do my makeup; I get the sniffles. Any ideas on why this occurs?

Money & interest [ 1 Answers ]

How do you do interest on principal,rate,time/

Where to Buy Rod & Key to Turn On & Off Old Gas Floor Heater [ 0 Answers ]

Where do I purchase a rod and key to turn on and off an old gas floor heater?

Attempting to install GFCI circuit breakers (3 wires for 2 breakers) [ 6 Answers ]

OK here is my situation I have a Siemens box in my home I'm installing GFCI breakers to bring it up to code for insurance purposes Only thing is 4 rooms in this home are for some reason wired together on 3 wires (red black and white) connected to two separate breakers (30 Amps each) (two rooms...

View more questions Search