Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Zoolady7's Avatar
    Zoolady7 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 7, 2006, 04:31 PM
    Help with roof leaks!
    I have water coming through by my chimney and at least one other vent; I've read that and on inspecting from above and below that the problem is lack of or repair needed of the flashing around these areas. However, I am a novice to do it yourself repair, even though am capable of doing certain things myself, does anyone know of a website or websites that show step by step pictures and instructions and what to look for on how do do this kind of stuff?

    Thanks for all your help :confused:
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Nov 7, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Flashings are normally metal ( I have seen some platic) material that is around the vents, and chimmney, or pipes that come out of the roof of the house.

    Many have a sealent such as tar or a rubberised sealing matieria on them around where they meet the roof and the object. This sealing material often gets old and brittle and new has to be applied,

    Also the flashing itself can be damged due to winds and weather.

    Of course you can have varoius other issues that cause water leaks also

    I don't have a get link, I am sure others on here will. But if you live in the US, most of the larger home improvement stores, or even your local hardware store will normally have the experience to show you how to fix simple items like this.
    labman's Avatar
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

    Nov 7, 2006, 06:25 PM
    In the past, dabbing tar around the joints has been almost an annual task. Another guy on the building committee at my church suggested we try an elastomeric coating. It is white, and easily brushes on. It seems to have solved some problems both at the church and my house. I don't have enough experience with it yet to see how it lasts.

    We bought a 5 gallon pail at Lowe's. I think I may have seen gallon cans of similar stuff at the hardware. Hope you still get a warm, dry day to work.

    Just look at places that seem to have cracks and gaps and paint some on.
    skiberger's Avatar
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41
    Senior Member

    Nov 7, 2006, 07:17 PM
    You can pick up a how-to book on roofing at Lowe's or HD.
    Dr D's Avatar
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127
    Senior Member

    Nov 7, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Dear Zoolady7 - First I wish you the best of luck. The previous posts have offered excellent advice, and I hope they solve the problem. My home which was built in 1979 had a persistent leak around the fireplace for years. I got on the roof and put tar/ sealant everyplace immaginable, all to no avail. It was not until I did a complete roof tear-off and replacement that I found the shabby job that the builder had done on the flashing around the chimney and other places. Prior to the new roof, I raplaced all the flashing and put a stick on urethane membrane in all the valleys. It may have been overkill, but the house doesn't leak. Roof leaks can be a bear to find. Water can come in one place, and leak through in another. Try to get into the attic space and look for water on the underside of the sheeting when it rains. My the roof gods be with you.
    caesars charm's Avatar
    caesars charm Posts: 80, Reputation: 7
    Junior Member

    Nov 7, 2006, 08:32 PM
    Hi Zoolady7. Did you try putting the waterhose on your roof on a fine day to see if you could find exactly where it's coming in. There are a lot of good products out there and some are clear so you don't notice them too much. After using a lot of colored products over the years it can get a bit messy looking so see what you can get on a clear side. Hope I've helped some. Good luck!
    scri8e's Avatar
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7
    Junior Member

    Nov 8, 2006, 12:21 AM
    Lots of DIY webpages out there with diagrams
    To help you with this. Here are two:



    Google search results for 33,000+ more:
    Zoolady7's Avatar
    Zoolady7 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 17, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions - I've looked at most of the options available, and elastomeric coating wouldn't be an option unless I can find it in black, as the roofing is black; right now I don't need a water hose, because we are renovating and fixing problems that existed before the house was purchased in the late '70's, and I have the sheetrock removed from the area where the leaks are and can see where they're coming through; I tried looking at info. At the sites scri8e mentioned which were helpful. The leaks aren't real bad right now, but very frustrating. I found a product called 'Stop Leak' which is supposed to be used in conjunction with a membrane... can anyone tell me what the proper way to apply this stuff really is? Do I coat all the way underneath to the bottom layer, or just the top and where (i.e. just around edges, etc.) I know this probably sounds dumb, but better to ask than totally screw it up! :-) Thanks guys/gals :-=)
    gmoma04's Avatar
    gmoma04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 20, 2008, 10:07 PM
    I do not want my roof patch up I want acomplete job can I make my insurance company give me a full job on my roof?it was damage some from a storm last week several shingles was blown off .
    gmoma04's Avatar
    gmoma04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 20, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Will my insurance company will patch my roof or gve me a complete job?
    scri8e's Avatar
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7
    Junior Member

    Feb 21, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Only your claims adjuster can answer that question. We couldn't begin to =try= to answer that question without any pictures. Even then
    with excellent pictures it would be a guess at best.

    2 things I will tell you.

    1.) You can't make a insurance company replace a roof if the damage is not extensive enough.
    Does your roof leak? Or do you just want a new roof because of what?

    2.) If you make 3 claims on your home owners insurance. With some companies it's only 2 claims. They will pay but they will cancel your policy. Once a insurance company cancels you.
    You are going to have a heck of a time getting insurance. They all access the same data base.
    If you have a loan on your home. You must have fire insurance or your loan company will call your loan. So think about making claims.
    marcus brown's Avatar
    marcus brown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 28, 2013, 05:12 AM
    Best one I have ever seen Cute Outfits Ideas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ac leaks [ 2 Answers ]

My ac unit is leaking in the garage, I have a split unit. The box it sits on just started leaking the other day, someone told me that I could fix it with a shop vac. Is this true? Other than the leak it cools just fine and is only 4 years old.

Toilet leaks [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. My tenant just phoned to say that the handle of the flush leaks when it is flushed. She also is noticing water around the base of the toilet. Just checking in to see what I should look for when I go over and what some possible solutions might be? Many thanks, JD

Outside faucet leaks [ 1 Answers ]

My outside faucets have a plastic cap between the house and on/off handle that says anti-siphon, which are now gushing water when I turn on the faucet. When I turn this cap it spins in either direction and doesn't seem to do anything. 2 out of 3 faucets are doing this, one seems to be fine. How...

Auto leaks [ 1 Answers ]

How can I find the leak without spending big $$$$$$$$$$$$:o

Basement leaks [ 1 Answers ]

Was wondering if anyone knows how to stop and old homes basement walls from leaking without digging foundation up and putting sewers and drains in there is no public sewers and I need to know how to stop the sepage. Thanks??

View more questions Search