Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexstrickland Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 12:59 AM
    Can Angels In Theory Be Explained By Quantum Mechanics?
    Hi there,

I'm a creative writer researching whether angels/paranormal phenomena can be plausibly explained via a physics/quantum theory.

Cheers

Lynne
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Nov 9, 2009, 02:30 AM
    This is a very interesting question. From my limited knowledge of quantum mechanics I should say no, but I won't.

Classical physics of Newton and Einstein deals with physical properties of objects, so the answer there is definitely no. However, when we start to investigate the world of the very tiny (quantum mechanics) things become very unpredictable and get a little weird. Your best bet to understand this area is to read up on the Copenhagen interpretation. Also Schrodinger's cat in a box thought experiment may also be of interest. Especially the idea of a live/dead cat.

I can come up with a thought experiment to demonstrate quantum weirdness. Consider this.

If someone drives their car into a brick wall at 60mph without a seat belt and/or without the aid of an air bag there is close to 100% chance there will die instantly. But, because of the uncertainty principle, nothing is guaranteed. The is a very extremely remote possibility they will walk away without a scratch. A miracle perhaps, most would agree. But there could be an alternative explanation.

According to the Copenhagen interpretation there is an infinite number of outcomes that can occur from this event if someone decides to embark on this stupid act, including walking away without a scratch. There is even the extraordinarily remote possibility that the car and driver will pass through the wall without disturbing a brick. In other words all possible outcomes are 'on the table'. Why is it that the most likely outcome will nearly always occur?

According to quantum theory all the other remote outcomes will evaporate into nothingness when they come into contact with the physical environment. That is, the environment in which the laws of classical physics operate. If something very unusual is taking place in the environment at the time of the crash then it is possible that a remote outcome may materialize.

Another area which may be more helpful for your research is called String Theory. This is interesting because it deals with what is believed to be the fundamental particles of matter. Strings are 2 dimensional vibrating loops of energy which make up all matter in the universe. It should be pointed out that Strings are only a mathematical possibility. If they exist then they are too tiny to be detected.

What makes them interesting from my point of view is the idea that they only have 2 dimensions. As you are aware we live in a world of 3 dimensions and one of time. NOW I AM GOING TO GET INTO THE WORLD OF SCIENCE FICTION RATHER THAN SCIENCE FACT.

What is the difference between the mental and the physical? I think Descartes came up with the best definition. The physical is extended and the mental/mind is non-extended. In other words the physical takes up space and the non-physical takes up no space. The smaller matter becomes the more likely it is to lose its physical characteristics. In other words, at its smallest level the physical and mental are one and the same.

If we were to take this SCIENCE FICTION account of matter and take it to its logical conclusion we would come up with a lot of interesting material which could explain paranormal activity. I am also thinking of curled up 7, 8, 10, 11, dimensional realities predicted by String Theory.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for. Hope it was of some help.
    alexstrickland Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 09:35 AM

Hi TUT317,

Thanks heaps for your answer; it really does explain a lot of research I've been doing in a clear and understandable way. (Dammit, Jim, I'm a Lit Major, not a Scientist!)

As this is fiction I'm writing, all I need is a PLAUSIBLE theory. I do however want that theory to be based within the bookends of actual science. Still, I have a lot of room left to speculate.

Your answer really was illuminating. Thanks again!
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Nov 10, 2009, 10:25 AM

You may want consider reading angelology books which explain, classify, document angelic activity. These texts exist since the Middle Ages and earlier. Some are quite fun reading. Those people did well without quantum mechanics, why make things complicated and confusing?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alexstrickland View Post

I'm a creative writer researching whether angels/paranormal phenomena can be plausibly explained via a physics/quantum theory.
    No. Not unless you're a science fiction writer.

That doesn't mean they don't exist because there are a lot of things that can't be explained by physics/quantum mechanics.
    DARIO_ALVAREZ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2013, 08:22 PM
    Spirits, angels, daemons, apparitions and all kind of paranormal activities have been documented throughout the history of mankind. It would be foolish to ignore these facts. They can not be simply inventions or hallucinations. Some of these have been documented recently by machines like video cameras and audio recorders.

Matter as we know it, occupies less than 1% of the space of the universe. Distances between atoms and subatomic particles are giant compared to their size. Propagation of light as a wave without the need of a media in which to spread is still a mystery. Our ignorance is then, despite scientific advances, still in the order of 99%

We can conclude that in that 99% of unknown space, anything can exist, including other universes that sometimes we can perceive by means of the so called paranormal phenomena.

J. DARIO ALVAREZ

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quantum 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a quantum 2000 with a 22 inch cut I need a belt part number 37X100MA and a drive cable part number 672893 as well as instruction to make sure I install them right any suggestions

Quantum number [ 1 Answers ]

What information is conveyed by the magnetic quantum number ml? The enery of the electron The path of the electron The shape of the atomic orbital The orientation of the atomic orbital Which one is it?

Quantum ? [ 4 Answers ]

Hiya all. QUANTUM Desktop PC 80 Gb Hard Drive. 2.4 Ghz Intel Celeron Processor 56 Kbs Internal Modem DVD, CD-RW Multimedia 256 Mb DDR RAM, 17 inch Monitor Keyboard, Mouse, Jazz Speaker set Preloaded Windows XP Home with back up disc. £200 or very nearest offer

Bohr theory vs modern theory [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone explain the differences between the bohr and the modern atomic theories in the description of the electron Thanks :p

View more questions Search