Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwarney Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 01:12 PM
    Making a girder from 2X12 lumber
    I am planning to build a 24 X 26, gable entry, 2 car (double door) garage with a 12/12 roof pitch so I can use the loft area for a studio. My idea was to run a 26 foot girder down the center to support the ceiling joists. My question is, if I make a girder by sandwiching 2 X 12 lumber, "what is the maximum span without using intermediate posts for support?" I know it will depend on the anticipated load in the loft area so I would like to be on the safe side. Can I do this with 2X12 stock? Or would I be better off purchasing an engineered or prefabricated girder?

Thanks for your help!
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 7, 2006, 07:14 PM
    You can definitely use 2x12 for a girder. The best way to go is a "built up" beam.

This is 2x12, 1/2 plywood, 2x12, 1/2 plywood, 2x12. You will sandwich the plywood between the 2x12's.

I'm assuming the beam will be 26' long. With that length post should be placed about every 9'.

If you go engineered or prefab, contact the manufacture for post placements.
    mwarney Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 04:04 AM
    Thanks Skiberger!!
    AOTO Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by skiberger
    You can definately use 2x12 for a girder. The best way to go is a "built up" beam.

This is 2x12, 1/2 plywood, 2x12, 1/2 plywood, 2x12. You will sandwich the plywood between the 2x12's.

I'm assuming the beam will be 26' long. With that length post should be placed about every 9'.

If you go engineered or prefab, contact the manufacture for post placements.

HI -
    What about if the opening is 10' wide? I was thinking of using a 2 x 6 jack stud and 4 x 6 jack stud to hold up my 2 x 12 beam... you know, just like above?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 7, 2007, 07:29 PM
    This will not work, if you were to run just the girder itself with no load it will still sagg at 26ft
    There would be a lot of bounce to that, a girder like that would need to be supported at least every 10ft and if you go by code it may be more than that. Easiest thing to do here is call you inspections office

My advise here is to look into using LVLs they are engineered ceiling or floor joist, this way you'd have no beam and no need of supports. There not as expensive as you may think
    We've used these on many occasions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making Out [ 19 Answers ]

Im 13, and Im probably the only one in here over the age of 12 that hasnt made out with anyone. My boyfriend is 15, so hes been thru that, so he wants to make out with me, but everytime he tries, I back away, because I dont know what to do! Can anyone help me here? :confused:

Making furniture look old [ 3 Answers ]

I want to paint my bedroom furniture white and make it looked aged but I bought stuff at wal-mart to make it look crackled and I made a mess. What can I do to achieve an aged look on my furniture?

Painting Treated Lumber [ 2 Answers ]

How long should you wait before you paint or stain treated lumber??

View more questions Search