Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JaimeMarie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 02:35 PM
    No lease tenant compensation for damage
    We rented my house to my idiot brother in law. There was no lease, it was just until the house sold. He stopped paying rent in Sept. Then we find out he let his dogs use the second floor as a bathroom, ruining the carpets. :mad: We kicked him out and his equally idiot girlfriend out immediately.

They left their most prized possession HDTV there along with some other crap. After 8 hrs of cleaning up his disgusting mess my husband took his TV. We told him he could have it back when he pays the back rent and utilities, and for the damage the dogs caused. Now my brother in law wants to call the cops, He says the TV is his girlfriend's fathers.

What will happen then?:confused:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 02:38 PM

Your husband cannot hold the TV as ransom. He needs to take his brother and girlfriend to court for the damages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Florida landlord tenant lease. Can I break lease if I [ 3 Answers ]

So everything according to the lease but have tomove out before lease renewal date due to illness? I am disabled in an disabled apartment but my new medical problem gives cause for me to live in a gated, age appropriate setting. My doctor has written a letter stating I must move as soon as the...

Break lease due to water damage and mold [ 14 Answers ]

My roommate and I have rented an apartment for 4 yrs in durham nc. We are moving out 2 & half months before the end of the lease. We have always had problems with the central air a/c. it basically freezes up 2 to 4 times a day and surprise we have water damage all around the unit. We have...

Fl Lease breached by tenant, but on the lease I put [ 8 Answers ]

The monthly rent in the wrong place! (I know I know, how stupid I feel) but here's the question, I put in the deposit amount (which was a months rent) , I put in the holdover amount (which was the monthly rent) Can she sue me to get her deposit back since I put it in the holdover spot instead of...

Simple Landlord Tenant Law about damage and deposit. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We Leased a house for 2 years in King County. We moved out and 17 days later, we still had not heard from the Landlord nor had we received our deposit back. We contacted them and they said they were holding our deposit for a quote on some hardwood floor damage repair. I replied...

View more questions Search