Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minovelikoto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Transferring cost in "weighted-average method"
    Hi,
    The problem says that the data is prepared by unexperienced accountant. The Beginning WIP is 8000units; materials 100% complete; conversion 7/8 complete... $22,420*
    Cost transferred in from the previous department... $81,480
    *Consists of cost transferred in, $8,820; materials cost, $3,400; and conversion costs, $10,200.

My book doesn't really explain how to transfer cost from one department to another, so when I'm calculating the "cost per equivalent unit" I need the "Beg WIP" and "Cost added" for materials and for conversion in order to get the "total cost to account for" for both and divide them by the "tot. physical units" for materials and for conversion. How do I carry the cost from the previous department? Should I just get the "($81,480+$8,820)/tot. physical units" and add that to the "cost per equivalent unit" I can calculate if I don't use the transferred cost?
    Thanks!
    minovelikoto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 07:46 PM

I've got it already

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Equivalent Units and Cost per Equivalent UnitWeighted-Average Method [ 2 Answers ]

Equivalent Units and Cost per Equivalent Unit—Weighted-Average Method Kalox, Inc. manufactures an antacid product that passes through two departments. Data for May for the first department follow: Gallons Materials Labor Overhead Work in process, May 1 80,000 $ 68,600 $ 30,000 $ 48,000...

Cost per equivalent unit and weighted average method [ 1 Answers ]

How to use the weighted average method in a cost equivalent unit?

Weighted average method [ 1 Answers ]

Beginning work in process 10000 units Units started 20000 units Units completed 25000 units Beginning work in process direct materials $6000 Beginning work in process conversion $2600 Direct materials added during month $30000 Direct manufacturing labor during month $12000 Factory overhead...

FIFO cost method from the weighted-average cost method [ 4 Answers ]

On December 31, 2006 Company appropriately changed to the FIFO cost method from The weighted-average cost method for financial statement and income tax purposes. The change will result in a $70,000 increase in the beginning inventory @January 1, 2006. Assuming a 40 Percent income tax rate, the...

Weighted average method [ 2 Answers ]

I am having problem to figure out how to calculate the total cost of units transferred to department b and the cost of ending work in process for department a on January 31. Here are the information that was provided: beginning work in process, January 1: materials $4000 / conversion costs...

View more questions Search