Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robj Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 10:27 AM
    Running 14/2 wire
    Hello, I will be running 14/2 wire with ground to run a wall a/c unit. The a/c unit pulls about 12.5 amps. Question is some part of the wire will be run outside under a deck. About 15 feet. This part I obviously will have to protect with conduit but is it really necessary for me to have to use exterior grade wire which is usually made exterior grade because it will be run underground. The wire should be shielded from the sun and the elements because of the conduit but it might still be necessary with all I know. I think they call interior grade nm-b. Thanks:cool:
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2006, 03:39 PM
    First #14 is too small for a AC unit drawing 12.5 amps, the wire size needs to be rated 125% of the running amps, 12.5*125%=15.6 amps, so need #12 wire. This should be on a 20 amp breaker.

If you can get the conduit to exit the building at one end and enter at the other, then using it as a continuous sleeve for the NM-B cable is fine, good thought , will help to eliminate splices.

You may want to consider using 3/4 conduit, the cable will fit much better, and the 90 deg fittings are larger.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running [ 3 Answers ]

What would be an average time for someone to run 5 kilometers?

Running [ 1 Answers ]

Could I run fast enough on any planet to keep up with the sun??

Can't keep mower running [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: I have a murry(briggs and stratton) walk behind lawn mower 5.0 HP and am having trouble keeping the thing running. I start it up and it stalls after about a minute of mowing. I tried starting it on a flat concrete surface and it ran for a minute or two then stalled again. ...

Am I running? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all, Some of you might know my story, most probably don't. Anyway I have just broken up with my very beautiful girflriend of 7 years and am coming to grips with facing this big wild world or being a man alone for the first time. Am having a tough time dealing with it but with the advice...

What about running... [ 2 Answers ]

... ABS sewer pipe through or under a foundation? Any problems other than the work involved? What is the best way to seal the pipe if it goes through the foundation. Found some concrete compatible caulk at Home Depot... any good for this?

View more questions Search