Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    furqannoor Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 09:52 PM
    Calculus and vector optimization
    It is required to lay a cable from a point A on one side of the bank of a river 100m wide to a point B on the opposite bank 1500m downstream from the point C directly opposite A.(Assuming the river bank are parallel).What rout should be followed to minimize
    The cost,if it costs $30.00 per meter to lay cable on land and $ 60.00 per meter to lay in the water?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2009, 04:22 AM
    Problems very similar to this one can be found by googling. This is a very cliché calculus problem. One can find it in some form or another online or in any calc book.

First, draw a picture. Note, there is a right triangle which the hypoteneuse represents the length of cable under water across the river. See it?

Let the portion along the bank, on land, be 1500-x.

The cost on land is 30(1500-x) and the cost underwater is

Then, the total cable cost will be

This is what must be optimized to find the length across land and under the water. Differentiate, set to 0, and solve for x. Look at the diagram I have provided. See what is going on?
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Finding an angle give a vector and the magnitude of another vector. [ 3 Answers ]

On her way to grandmas, red ridding hood sat down her 1.2kg basket. A wolf came up beside her and began to pull on the basket with a force of 6.4N at an angle 25 degrees with respect to vertical. Red pulled back with force of 12 N. if the net force on the basket is straight up at what angle was...

Optimization [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I came across this problem in my homework and I've been having a lot trouble with it. If anyone could tell me how to solve it or at least where to start that would be amazing.;) thank you very much! For a fish swimming at a speed v relative to the water, the energy...

Optimization,what is it? [ 15 Answers ]

What Are You Doing When You Optimize Your Computer, I Do It As Per Instructions, But I Have No Idea What I'm Doing Or How & Why It Is Helping My Compuer!! Thank You To All Who Reply & Explain

View more questions Search