Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    supermannnnnn Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Nov 5, 2009, 05:14 PM
    2001 civic has flashing green key light.
    I have a 2001 Honda Civic Ex. Everything is fine. All of a sudden, I see a FLASHING GREEN KEY LIGHT on my dashboard. What could be the reason for that?

I have 2 x ORIGINAL Honda keys. I don't have any fake keys. I tried both. Same problem.

My car starts and runs FINE. Its just that sometimes the green key light comes on and sometimes it does not. I will like it to NOT happen anymore. What could be the cause?

I read that a fake key will cause this immobilizer to come on but I have the real keys. Also, I read that it could be due to a low battery. I bought my battery about 1 and a half years ago. It could be a little low on Juice but it works fine. Also, I tested my alternator and it works fine when I unplugg my battery. Can any PROFESSIONAL GIVE ME more advise as to how I can fix this? THanks so much.

Nov 5, 2009, 06:57 PM

Anyone please help? TXGREASEMONKEY?? I made this account in hopes of hearing your advise... LOL... You sound like a mechnical Super PROfessional!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2009, 07:19 PM

If there are absolutely no problems of any kind, it may simply be a reminder to remove your key. There's a transponder chip inside the key and it is designed to not allow you to lock your keys in the car. Do you only see the flashing green light when you are stopped and your key is in the ignition?

This is a tricky area to diagnose, if there are any other issues. Have you had any indication of intermittent power, due to your ignition switch? Sometimes, weight from additional keys and from the fob can cause wear in the ignition switch, which can lead to these problems. Also, the main relay may be failing, which provides power to the immobilizer. If you can rule out a problem with the ignition switch, I would try replacing the main relay. Be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable first, after recording any radio codes.

My bet is that it's a reminder to not forget your keys. Check your Owner's Manual.

Nov 5, 2009, 07:46 PM

Hmmm... My car runs absolutely perfect. No mechanical problems. But there are a bit of Electrical iSSues.

Its not a key reminder because this green flashing key light happens like 50% of the time when I start the engine to drive. The engine always starts and my car drives fine. No power loss. Its just 50% of the time, the green key light keeps flashing while I'm driving. NONSTOP. Other times, it doesn't which is normal.

The only electrical issues I have with my car is the ABS light flashes nonstop when I drive. That has been there for a long time.

Also the SRS light is on. I have a feeling the SRS light is on because of the Driver side BELT BUCKLE. It was a little stuck before and the seat belt was hard to snap in, but I put a little WD-40 and now it works much smoother. I think the BELT BUCKLE messed with the SRS. I also tried the SRS RESET, but it didn't work. I didn't get a chance to change the BELT BUCKLE YET.

These 3 things are the only things wrong with my civic... Green Flashing Key Light, Orange ABS Light that flashes when I drive, and the red SRS light that stays on the whole time every time I drive...

Mechanic told me that its not worth fixing these things.. LOL... Ima going to go get a full tune up tomorrow. I have 105k on the car. I think I should even get a timing belt + water pump change.

Tomorrow I will ask the MECH to record some codes for me. I would rather FIX these things myself but I'm not car inclined and have no base knowledge... THANKS TXGREASEMONKEY. I will post updates...
    Dragonslayer Posts: 61, Reputation: 4

Nov 5, 2009, 08:00 PM

The green key shaped light you are referring to is the immobilizer indicator. The light does a "bulb check" just like the check engine/ abs/ tcs lights do during initial start up. It should not be coming on while you are driving. I would suspect that you have an electrical issue.

At 105K, you are due for a timing belt replacement and it would be wise to have the water pump replaced at the same time. As a Honda tech, I would highly recommend you at least use a genuine Honda pump even if you are going with aftermarket parts on everything else. I've lost count the number of times I've had to replace an aftermarket pump that an independent shop installed just hundreds of miles before. Also, have your mechanic check and adjust the valves at the same time. You're going to want to leave the car all day so that they do this when the engine has completely cooled.

Nov 5, 2009, 08:05 PM

THanks DragonSLayer... But the thing is that my car STARTS... It cranks like 2 times then starts like normal... Its so weird.

Hmmmm...

Nov 5, 2009, 08:06 PM
    It starts and runs fine except 50% of the time, the green key light flashes continuously while I'm driving. The other 50% of the time, it does not flash while I'm driving, which is normal.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2009, 08:13 PM

Now, the truth comes out. SRS and ABS lights that stay on are very serious. You definitely need to take your car in and have it diagnosed. Yes, the timing belt and water pump also needs to be replaced. I would only take it to Honda for this work.
    Dragonslayer Posts: 61, Reputation: 4

Nov 5, 2009, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Now, the truth comes out..
    Enough said!

Nov 5, 2009, 09:50 PM

THANKS GUYS! Dayam! I was afraid to hear this... BIG $$$$$$$$

Nov 5, 2009, 09:51 PM
    DragonSlayer.. As a honda Tech, can you quote me an average price that ill be looking at to get my timing BELT + water pump changed? So that I don't get ripped off?? Ill get the tune up with my mechanic, but ill go to honda for the belt + pump.
    dddinter564 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 06:24 PM
    My car today when driving the green light also cam on and my car stalled out. It happened 2x. The keys are original but I turned the car back on and it was fine after each time. It is a 2001 Honda Civic also. I thought mayb the key was not in propely but that would have not let me drive the car originally so... unsure why this happened today.
    kaunas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2012, 02:07 AM
    I know it's not right place to comment, but I was just googling about breking ups and I ended up here. I read one of your advice and I loved it. I visited your profile but I couldn't find a way to private message. So that's why I'm writing here down. If you still visit this page somehow or see my message. Please write me back here or [email protected] is my e-mail address. I'll be waiting for you and then if it's not a problem, I'd like to talk to you about my stiuation. supermannnnnn is your nickname here. Thanks from now on. Take care, hope to talk to you soon.
    deltabox888 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2012, 09:04 AM
    Same thing was happening to my car. Drove it around for a week, just fine with the blinking green key light. But then this morning, my battery died on me. I hope that's all it was? Just a dead battery.

I know it's time. I haven't changed the battery in over 5 years
    rockingjohnny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2013, 04:16 PM
    2002 civic my car start fine but when it running the green key light flashes all the time no rpm no spedometer run very rough very hard to accelerate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore built in dishwasher green clean light keeps flashing and won't go off [ 0 Answers ]

Not allowing me to turn the dishwasher on to do dishes I tried to trip the breaker and the green light just keeps flashing

Flashing green light on dash [ 1 Answers ]

There is a flashing green light on the right side of the dash on my daughter's 91 honda car What does it means?

View more questions Search