Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marty0179 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2009, 05:46 AM
    2 way light switch
    I have a 2way light switch for hall and landing lights. I am connecting a security light with a double switch and cannot get it working. I need to know witch wire goes in 1-way and where the other wire goes. I am using 3 core brown, blue and earth.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 30, 2009, 06:06 AM

I assume,

A. That you are not USA.

B. That by 2-way you mean a double pole switch (what we in USA call a 3-way) and that you have another switch that also controls the hall and landing light.

Whether this can be done depends on how the existing wiring is done. If the power is coming into the switch where you want to add the switch for the security light, it can be done.

Connect the neutral coming into the box to the neutral going to the security light. Put a pigtail on the hot coming into the box and connect it to one terminal of the new switch. Connect the hot going to the security light to the other terminal.

If the power for the existing hall and landing light is going the light or to the other switch, it can't be done this way because you have no neutral at the switch. You will have to take power to the security light and then run a switch leg to the switch.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Oct 31, 2009, 02:30 AM
    I have a 2way light switch for hall and landing lights. I am connecting a security light with a double switch and cannot get it working. I need to know witch wire goes in 1-way and where the other wire goes. I am using 3 core brown, blue and earth.

As the Dutchman said, "I speak English, yet....."

I'm not familiar with the terminology. In the US, we call a SPST switch a 2-way, and a SPDT switch a 3-way. A 2-way switch is used to control a circuit from one location, and a 3-way switch controls a circuit from two locations, such as top and bottom of a stairwell, or opposite ends of a hallway. Clear as mud.

If I remember correctly, the brown is the hot wire, and the blue is the grounded (neutral) wire, the grounding (earthing) conductor is either bare, or green with a yellow stripe?

So, to get on the same page, are the hall and landing lights controlled from one or two locations? You want to control the security light from one location, independent of the hallway and landing lights?

Semantics? That's in Ohio, isn't it? (James Thurber)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting two wires from light kit pull chain switch 2 wire to light kit for fan [ 6 Answers ]

I would like advise on how to attach the two black wires on the light kit pull chain switch to the light kit on the ceiling fan. I see there are two unattached wires on the light kit, one is black and the other is white. Are these the correct wires to attach the pull chain to? If so, how do I...

How to switch from hanging light switch to wall [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am looking to replace an old light fixture in our kitchen (the kind with the hanging string that you pull to turn on the light) with something that will have a wall switch. Is this do-able at all for a newbie? Or do I need to hire an electrician?

Can a 20 amp light switch replace a 15 amp light switch? [ 1 Answers ]

Can a 20 amp light switch replace a 15 amp light switch?

Change Pilot Light Switch with a Single-way Switch [ 1 Answers ]

It's worth noted that I am a complete novice, so please be patient with me. I want to replace an existing pilot light switch with a single-way lighted switch. The existing setup has four terminals (red wire, black wire, white wire, and ground wire). The red wire goes to the left, the black wire...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

View more questions Search