Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FlossnQueen Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Legal name change
    I live in the state of Ohio
    I had a son out of wedlock 2 1/2 years ago, the biological father did not sign the birth certificate. I have full custodial rights. Although the father still does see him occasionally, He does not pay child support and isn't active in our lives.
    My son is starting to learn things like his name and where he lives.. and it's a little confusing! How much would I have to go through to have his last name changed to mine? Or, where would I even start, contact wise?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2009, 04:31 PM

Does your son have the father's last name on the birth certificate?

At any rate, you need to have an attorney file the name change paperwork for you in family court for the name change.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 05:34 PM

To change his name you will need to get the fathers permission. Why is he not paying child support, when you went to court and got custody did you not get a child support order
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2009, 05:39 PM

A birth certificate is a legal document. Therefore, you will need to go to court to have it changed. It is highly likely the father will need to give permission for the change.

Go down to your local Family Court and inquire about the process and requirements.

Oct 28, 2009, 06:09 PM
    The father is not on the birth certificate, nor did he sign.
    My son does have his father's last name on the birth certificate.
    He is ordered to pay child support but does not.. He has been struggling with addiction for the past couple years and has not kept a job.

I know that He won't agree to let my son's name be changed if given a choice, but He is barely in our lives and isn't steady. I'm the one who on a day to day basis has to schedule appointments and sign for things.. I'm the only support my son has, so I want him to have my name.

Oct 28, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Again, since the birth certificate is a legal document it requires a court order to change it. So you need to go to your local Family Court as I suggested. If the court requires the father to sign, then that's what's needed. Its not going to matter how much a part of your life he is or isn't.

Oct 29, 2009, 05:27 PM
    And if the father refuses?

Oct 29, 2009, 07:21 PM

Then the court won't allow it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal name change [ 1 Answers ]

How can I find out if a person legally changed their last name. It happen about 25 years ago?

Legal Name Change [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am curious about legally changing my name and was hoping for some info about restrictions, cost, procedure, when and why it would be rejected etc anyone who can help me ;)

Legal change minor last name [ 2 Answers ]

I am recently remarried after many years. My children's father has not been in contact for nearly 10 years. My question is can they take on my married name as they wish. What is the process? I live in Washington state. Thanks so much

Legal name change on deed [ 1 Answers ]

My legal name changed recently, and I need to change it on the deed/title to my property. So there is no transfer of property, I just need to change it from my old name to my new name. How do I do this? I'm in California.

Legal name change of a minor [ 1 Answers ]

I want to legally change my sons name to my future husbands last name. My sons father has been out of the picture for over 5 years, last I heard he moved out of state, got married and has 2 more children. I can't find the man any where. My question is can I just file the paper work myself without...

View more questions Search