Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JHFman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 04:46 PM
    Two T8 bulbs vs Four old style
    A lighting company has recommended that my business switch our old 4 fixture fluorescent bulbs to the new smaller T8 ones. There are some tax credits involved that helps lower the price. However, the recommendation is to change all my old 4 lbulb fixtures (old style) to fixtures that have only two T8 bulbs. Supposedly the light with the T8 will be just as bright. Can this be true? I sure don't want to pay money to get less light even if it's more efficient!
    Jim
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 04:49 PM

Not so, T8 are slightly more bright but not noticeably to the human eye. Their advantage is being more efficient. If you switch from 4 T12 to 2 T8 bulbs you will be cutting your lumens by about 45% http://www.ehow.com/about_5426758_fl...-vs-bulbs.html
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2009, 11:32 AM
    Bal is correct, there is no 4ft T8 lamp that gives the light output of two 4 ft T12 lamp.

There is a T5 HO lamp that will equal two 4 ft tT12 lamps.

Perhaps this is what is being offered?

Some of the "lighting" firms out there sell snake oil.

Ask for data sheets of both the existing lamps and the proposed lamps. Be sure these datasheets come from the lamp manufacturer, not some spreadsheet or hype sheet they produce.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2009, 06:36 PM
    The key to this equation is retro-fitting the fixture with a silver metallic reflector. If that is done properly, two T-8's will actually produce more light than 4 T-12's in a standard white fixture.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2009, 10:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missouri bound View Post
    the key to this equation is retro-fitting the fixture with a silver metallic reflector. If that is done properly, two t-8's will actually produce more light than 4 t-12's in a standard white fixture.
    Interesting

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

APA style [ 1 Answers ]

I am so confused... I was given a assignment to answer 10 questions and to do it in APA style I am so confused I know that you can write a paper in that style but not answering questions help please...

How can I style my hair in 40's style? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to a themed party this weekend(pin-up girls/army guys). And I need a cute 30s/40s hairstyle. I want something that looks like Dita Von Teese. My hair is about shoulder length. I can't find a good how-to website for achieving this look. Anyone know of any? Thanks :)

The cost for 1500 watt MH bulbs and Multitap ballast for MH bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know the cost of installation for 1500 watt MH bulbs and Multitap ballast for MH bulbs. Materiall cost will be beneficial. Barbara Ivory

View more questions Search