Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fairr Posts: 285, Reputation: 6

Oct 27, 2009, 06:37 AM
    Skin lightening programme on tonight on bbc!
    On BBC1 tonight at 10:35 there is a programme called 'make me white'

BBC One has announced plans to screen a one-off documentary which follows those who want to have lighter skin.

The One Show presenter Anita Rani will front Make Me White when it airs later this summer.

The 40-minute programme sees Rani meet women and men who have embarked on a quest for lighter skin, as well as look at products and companies behind the market.

Pressures within her own Asian community are explored and health risks are highlighted as the show reveals the extent of damage illegal products can cause.

"I have never understood why fair equals beautiful because I love being brown," said Rani. "Through this film, I will find out where this pressure to change your skin colour is coming from."

Skin lightening is big business. The market for cosmetics to lighten darker skin is now reported to be worth millions of pounds; Anita Rani (presenter of Watchdog and The One Show) is on a journey to find out why. Starting in her own family, with her mother's preference for lighter skin, she explores the pressures within the Asian community that lead a growing number of people to want to "lighten up".

Anita says: "I have never understood why fair equals beautiful because I love being brown. Through this film, I want to find out where this pressure to change your skin colour is coming from."

Illegal cosmetics are available under the counter in Asian and Afro-Caribbean shops up and down the country. Many illegal creams contain banned chemicals which pose health risks and can cause irreversible damage. Anita goes undercover to see how readily available they are, and she meets one woman who regrets ever using them.

She takes a hard look at the businesses that make money on the promise of lightening dark skin, and tackles the cosmetic distributors and lifestyle magazines that promote and advertise skin lightening products.

Finally, Anita tests one of the legal leading brand skin lightening products for herself. Will it work?

So supposedly she's going to be trying some super product ah can't wait to see the results!
    Hope this is of interest guys lol:D
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 06:39 AM

Unless you wrote this, please give the source as it could be a copyright infringement violation.

Oct 27, 2009, 06:51 AM

BBC - BBC One Programmes - Make Me White

Oct 27, 2009, 06:53 AM
    Television - News - BBC to screen 'Make Me White' - Digital Spy
    MAHARANI Posts: 800, Reputation: 39

Oct 27, 2009, 04:16 PM

I can't believe I missed it. Just seen your post. Will have to see if I can watch it on BBCiplayer tomorrow.
    so sexy Posts: 532, Reputation: 12

Oct 27, 2009, 04:21 PM

Is this In Europe because this sounds like a channel I had when I lived in Germany

Oct 27, 2009, 04:40 PM

BBC1 is in the uk but some of their programmes can be accessed on line by going to BBCiplayer and looking up the title.
    so sexy Posts: 532, Reputation: 12

Oct 27, 2009, 06:05 PM
    OK thanks
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:54 PM
    I just missed it, sounds interesting though. I'll watch it on BBCiplayer too.

Oct 28, 2009, 01:55 AM

Lol it wasn't good at all
    Quite disappointed it just sent out the message don't lighten and didn't show any effective products :\

Oct 28, 2009, 10:21 AM

Well I won't bother trying to look it up, then. I doubted that they would be promoting any products because there would bound to be complaints from lightening "haters". The BBc is famous for receiving complaints and as it obtains it's money from TV licence payers, they are careful about what programmes they put out. It's a Shame really.
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2009, 08:21 PM

Lol... hmmm I wonder when they'll be advertising their "don't tan or use fake tanners" specials... :rolleyes:

Oct 29, 2009, 03:56 PM

Talking of TV programmes, have just been watching a programme on channel 4 "the event. How racist are you?" and this white teacher said that a black child slipped on the floor at school and scraped her face. She said she was surprised to see that the scraped area was pink underneath. I can't believe that in the year 2009, that someone would be so ignorant. I mean she is a teacher, for heavens sake!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2009, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    lol...hmmm I wonder when they'll be advertising their "don't tan or use fake tanners" specials.... :rolleyes:
    I know this is a little off topic but where I live they are trying to ban tanning beds because a young girl got cancer from tanning so much, there was a documentary about it, very sad :(
    Golden_Boy Posts: 330, Reputation: 6

Oct 29, 2009, 06:57 PM

True, why is there not any recent programs about tanning causing DEADLY cancer, yet there are now TV programs about people getting cosmetically damaged skin they can live with from using too many lightening creams all from Africa and/or with hydroquinone poison??

Oct 30, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I know this is a little off topic but where I live they are trying to ban tanning beds because a young girl got cancer from tanning so much, there was a documentary about it, very sad :(
    Well over here, there is no way they would be able to totally ban it, as it is such big business. Maybe due to the good old fashioned British weather LOL. Although I don't think our weather is that bad. I mean, it hardly rained during the summer and it was even mentioned how dry the ground was. But they are trying to ban the self service tanning booths , which are coin operated and do not require an operator to be present. It was due to young girls going on them and ignoring the age restrictions, the time limits suggested for skin types and the frequency and a girl got burned really badly. If it hadn't have been a young girl, I doubt they would have made a fuss off it. To be honest , I think people will always take risks in the pursuit of "beauty".
    Gr8stuff Posts: 197, Reputation: 8

Oct 30, 2009, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MAHARANI View Post
    Talking of tv programmes, have just been watching a programme on channel 4 "the event. How racist are you?" and this white teacher said that a black child slipped on the floor at school and scraped her face. She said she was surprised to see that the scraped area was pink underneath. I can't believe that in the year 2009, that someone would be so ignorant. I mean she is a teacher, for heavens sake !!
    OMG... this is outrageous! :eek: What was she expecting?:confused:
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2009, 02:58 PM

Wow. That's sad and tanning beds should be banned then, they have always been scary to me as though people may get trapped in them and become cooked. But, rarely I hear anything focused on tanning beds as much. Maybe if people write to BBC and notify them on those topics too.

Nov 1, 2009, 04:18 PM

Golden_Girl,

You reminded me of that horror film, I think it was final destination when those two girls get trapped on the tanning beds and get burned alive. Really horrible scene!!
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2009, 05:23 PM
    ... oh how scarry! To me I would think being closed in like that would be like trapped in a highly-lit coffin. I'm glad I never saw the final desitination films.. well I did see like 15 min. of one of them then I had to turn, too much for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pale, Dull, and Dry Skin As a Result of Skin Lightening? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, My name is linksys2000. I am new to the "Ask Me Help Desk" forum, and site. Thanks for all of the information and perspectives. Somehow, this wealth of information leads to better decisions and ultimately thoughtful choices. So thanks to all of you for promoting this site and...

Skin lightening for dark Afro skin/ max result [ 72 Answers ]

Hey, I've been reading the forums, it is so much info to absorb. Is their anyone who has had dark Afro- Amer or Afro- Carib and are know a fairer and more even complexion from using skin lighteners. If so can you lead me in a direction, I am willing to use any regime just not too expensive. Thanks...

Skin lightening for an oily skin [ 1 Answers ]

Good day, I have oily skin and pimple on my face and back. I use nivea body lotion. I would also like to know how I get a lighter skin. Thanks

Skin Lightening for Pale Skin [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, I was wondering a few things. What would happen if someone that is extremely pale used skin lightner? Would it get rid of my redness? Scars? Freckles?

Lightening my skin with monobenzone has messed my skin up [ 86 Answers ]

I know that a lot of you are using monobenzone or compteplating on using it. Well I'm hear to tell you that after 1yr. Of monobenzone use my skin became disfigured. My arms, face, legs, cheast . Is patch work of pink, brown, large patchess. And I've been going to dermatologist about it and they say...

View more questions Search