Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    8buck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 02:47 PM
    dodge 3500 overheating
    I have a 98 ram 3500 4x4 v.10 and it started to overheat when my heater quit blowing hot air, it still blows cold a/c but no heat. I have flushed my radiator twice replaced all hoses twice replaced thermo's twice and fan clutch once and no luck. Could the trans be making it over heat I noticed along time ago I was pulling a boat down to the KEYS (I live in florida) that while I was pulling the a/c would cut in and out. Could my trans be going bad in wich case it is making my motor overheat
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 04:46 PM
    Several thoughts:
    1. Only use 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water. Positively no tap water, well water, or softened water. You may need to replace the radiator and/or heater core, due to mineral buildup. Feel radiator surfaces, when the engine is hot, and see if it gives you any clues.
    2. Install an auxiliary transmission cooler--a must on any vehicle used for towing.
    3. Use full-synthetic ATF (such as Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF)--transmissions run 50 degrees Fahrenheit cooler, shift better, get better gas mileage, and last longer. Change ATF and filter at recommended intervals.
    ROSE17 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 04:03 PM
    I have the same problem with my 2000 dodge 1500 4x4. Before mine overheats the heater starts blowing cold air. I haven't replaced anything yet, what should I start with?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Dodge Ram overheating [ 11 Answers ]

?? I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 that recently needed the water pump replaced. After replacement the truck kept overheating. I then took the liberty to replace the thermostat as well. I replaced the fan & clutch assembly as well. As far as hardware is concerned, that leaves only the radiator...

Overheating problem in 1992 Dodge B250 van [ 5 Answers ]

I have a van that still has an overheating problem though it has been to the shop. The places that did the repairs replaced one of the heater hoses and the bypass hose which fixed the initial problem of overheating and leaking coolant. The leaking has not occurred since then. However, the...

Overheating [ 7 Answers ]

My 1987 Jeep Cherokee is overheating, and we have been Unable to fix the problem. A new therostat has been put in. It runs for about 10 minutes, and then we can see the coolant starting to bubble, so we turn it off. The fan is running, and there doesn't seems to be any leaks. HELP It has...

96 Dodge Ram Overheating [ 1 Answers ]

My brother has a 96 Dodge Ram that keeps overheating after going a few miles. He has replaced the thermastate, water pump, and clutch band. The radiator is only a year old. The water levels are fine. There is no blowed head. Why is this truck still running hot?

2001 Dodge Durango overheating [ 3 Answers ]

Auxiliary heating pump went bad. Durango overheated. Had it towed and the pump was replaced. I drove it home and it overheated again. Checked the reservoir and there was no circulation of fluid in reservoir and the fluid in the reservoir was cold! Heater hose from top of radiator was warm to...

View more questions Search