Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    browndaisy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Growing dahlias from seed
    I am sure I can grow dahlias from seed but will they produce flowers the first year or would I be better to buy tubars? I am starting them next spring (2010) but want to be able to have lots of flowers to cut for my sons wedding in the fall of that year. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.:)
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Oct 25, 2009, 01:02 PM
    Hi! browndaisy, and welcome to AMHD :)

Quote Originally Posted by browndaisy View Post
    I am sure I can grow dahlias from seed but will they produce flowers the first year or would I be better to buy tubars? I am starting them next spring (2010) but want to be able to have lots of flowers to cut for my sons wedding in the fall of that year. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.:)
    Starting in March this site had blooms in August, see bottom of page 3:
    Growing Dahlias from Seeds

A minor point 'bout starting from seed is color can't be guaranteed, where with tubers it can.

Other links of interest:
    The American Dahlia Society - Home
    How to Grow Dahlias
    A PDF of above page:
    http://portlanddahlia.com/files/growing.pdf

Actually bd, I'm not the one to be talking to 'bout Dahlia's... Let me see if I can get our resident expert Just Dahlia to lend you a hand. :)

K
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Sorry, I've only grown them with tubers:( I usually go the easy and sure way:)

Edit: I do know that my yellow ones only last a couple days inside before turning brown on the edges, but they are 'Dinner Plate' you might want to stay away from the lighter colors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

For those that have used Pre Seed [ 3 Answers ]

I been trying to conceive for a couple months We just recently used Pre Seed last week. Now Im waiting to see if I successfully conceived I also been taking Fertilaid. My question is for those who used Pre Seed before. How long did you use it before you successfully conceived and were you taking...

Growing sunflower from seed [ 6 Answers ]

I started the sunflower seeds in a seed starter kit, they came up within 3 days and then I put the little plants on bigger pots. They are growing by leaps and bounds but not straight up! What did I do wrong? The plants now are about 12" but they are fallen over and up. Please help!!

Pre-seed for pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone have any input regarding pre-seed? My hubby and I tried it this month and are hoping for a BFP!

View more questions Search