Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kichin Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2009, 11:11 AM
    iinstalling a 2nd operating system on laptop
    I just bought a laptop with windows Vista Business installed. I do not like Vista, but I don't want to erase it either. Is there a way to install Windows XP on the same laptop so that I don't loose Vista?
    I'm new at this, so please include step by step instructions.

Thank you.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Oct 24, 2009, 11:48 AM

Hi,
    You will need a CD/DVD of XP and a partitioning software that will create a separate partition to do the XP install. Of course, you will need a HD large enough to do this. Vista is fairly memory-hungry, so figure a minimum of 120-160M to safely do this.
    Run the partitioning software to divide the HD into a separate partition for XP and then boot the XP disk and navigate to the unused partition. Many freeware programs exist that will do this.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2009, 08:30 PM

It is recommended to have xp installed before installing Vista as there will be extra steps involved if install xp 2nd

With that in mind, if you ever need to get your laptop serviced, you would need to uninstall the dual boot system and just have the vista on it as it will void your warranty.

Install Windows XP in a Dual Boot with Pre-installed Vista

Now once you have your dual boot, you will need to find whatever drivers that XP will need for the particular model
    -More than likely, there will not be XP drivers avail for all your hardware - so you have to download the vista drivers from the mfg website and see if XP will recognize them

It all can be done, but there is some work involved

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Operating system [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between winows 98 and windows XP?

Mac Operating System [ 3 Answers ]

Currently using Mac OS8.6... Is there a download available to OS 9

No Operating System [ 7 Answers ]

I have a IBM 390X laptop, and the computer has successfully completed the hard disk data wiping process. Al Data on the computer is now unrecoverable. The computer is designed for win98, and I have a CD Windows 98 Second Edition. What are the steps I need to take to get this computer working...

View more questions Search