Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awesomo1111 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Apparantely not being attracted to a certain race makes me a racist?
    Okay, I was wondering if you guys could help me with something that's been bugging me.

I'm a white girl, and for as long as I can remember, I've never been physically or sexually attracted to black men. That said, I don't believe that they're lesser human being than me or anything. I have some black male friends who I think are cool people. I have a distant cousin who married a black guy, and I was very happy for her and love their daughter very much. I was never told "don't mix the races" when I was young or anything. I've seen plenty of black guys on TV or in movies or whatnot, and I see lots at university every day... but none of them have ever done it for me, if you know what I mean.

This never affected my life until I went out awhile ago for lunch with two of my female friends (who are also white). We were talking about something, when one of my friends mentions how she thinks that the actor Will Smith is very attractive. My other friend agreed, and asked how I felt about him. I said, "Nah, I don't think he is...black guys just don't do it for me."

Well, after I said this, one of my friends (the one who agreed) blew up at me. She looked at me with daggers in her eyes and said, "Wow, I never knew you were a racist." I said, "No, I'm not a racist. I believe that black men are my equals." But she said, "No...you're a racist." Eventually, the subject somehow changed and I thought that was the end of it. But no.

Ever since that conversation, she keeps on implying that I'm intrinsically racist and keeps on rubbing the issue in my face, though I never make it into a big deal. Like, she said to me once, "Oh, by the way, I was out the other day and saw a really good-looking BLACK guy." This is starting to bug me. Luckily, I won't have to see this girl anymore, as she is moving 500 miles away very soon. I know for a fact that I'm not a racist, but I can't force myself to be attracted to somebody. But why would she think this way? Why is this even an issue? Has our society become really, really politically correct or something?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2009, 04:53 PM
    No you're not racist. Hey I'm not attracted to fat girls, does that make me a weight racist?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 23, 2009, 05:03 PM

You could have agreed Will Smith is a good-looking man (because he is! -- as is Tiger Woods, Keanu Reeves, Michael Jordan, Bruce Lee, Wu Zun, and Paolo Montalban) without the additional qualifier that he "doesn't do it for" you. Lots of white guys probably don't do it for you either. Yes, calling you a racist is over the top, but at least it provides drama for you and your friends.
    EliseLynn Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 12:15 PM

The key was in saying "black guys" instead of saying "hes not that hot". Your sensitive to it or you wouldn't word it that way. But we are all sensitive to it.

Now, I am Mexican/Native American and I can, in all ernest say to you that I do not find white men attractive.
    I think Asian men are delicious, Black guys I find passionate and have those beautiful big brown eyes, I of course love mexican and native guys. I've even dated a few men from the middle east, they are beautiful but I couldn't get past the accent LOL!

But frankly, blue eyes, blonde hair and pale skin are as big of a turn off as a beer gut or zits. Does that offend you? It shouldn't.

Your friend is probably insecure with it herself and putting it at you.
    awesomo1111 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Dec 26, 2009, 02:07 PM

@EliseLynn - no I don't take offense at ALL lol.
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Dec 26, 2009, 02:16 PM
    I personally don't find anything wrong with you saying you are not attracted to black men. Your friend seems to have the problem with you stating your opinions. She asked you a question, you gave her an answer. Maybe she should think before she asks, so as not to upset herself. She sounds very immature.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2009, 02:44 PM

First a racist is a person who believes another race ( is either better or worst) merely because they are that race.

Sexual attaction is not race anything, you may prefer blone hair, you may prefer "older" men, you may prefer blue eyes, or someone who works out with muscles everywhere.

I prefer perrsonally very very dark skin, I have dated many other though the years, but given a choice that is my preferred.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2009, 02:53 PM
    Don't lose sleep over this.

I'm attracted to cute, naughty girls. Not cute, naughty boys. Just my thing.

Don't let little miss piss-on-your-parade make you lose any sleep.

We all have our own little quirks, likes, and dislikes.

It isn't racist to prefer any gender, age, or race.

Your friend is a moron.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 26, 2009, 03:29 PM

Feel free to show your friend this thread and tell her she is being off base.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 07:56 PM

This woman is stupid and rude to suggest that you are racist simply because you prefer and find more attractive a certain physical type. I personally prefer to date men who are not only white, but also who share my Irish heritage - I want the cultural connection with them and to preserve those traditions in my family. I'm also specific about religious views - does that make me intolerant of other religions? No - I just want to share my faith with my partner.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jan 4, 2010, 11:09 PM

I agree with the others. You aren't racist. I am not attracted to black guys either, but that doesn't mean that I hate them.

I think your friend was being rude. It doesn't make sense how she told you that you are racist after you said you were not. You can't control what you don't like and your friend should understand that a lot of people are unattracted to people of a certain race.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend makes racist jokes about me. [ 35 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been dating for almost 4 months. He is mexican and I am half Apache indian and half polish and czech. We have such a good connection but latley he had been making racist jokes about me. It annoys me but when I get home and it sinks in, it truly upsets me. I can take a joke...

I have a fried who swears he makes 250K. How do I find out how much he really makes? [ 12 Answers ]

:D I have a friend who swears he makes 250K. How do I find out how much he really makes?

He's Racist! [ 31 Answers ]

This is one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make. My B/F and I have been together for two years. We have a unique relationship. I am a single mom and devote most of my time to my daughter. He is in med-school. Although we talk every day, we only spend time together one day a week....

He's a racist! [ 9 Answers ]

Ive been going out with my boyfriend for a year and a half and we love each other very much. We are young and we are the kind of couple that might get married in about 8 years. But my problem is that I'm hispanic and he is white. He works in the corrections department. And the people who work in...

Tell me who's racist? [ 83 Answers ]

This is something I have issues with distinguishing. I do understand that people have to respect eachothers races but the main issue I have is btwn whites and blacks. Why are blacks seemingly allowed to use the N word where if a white used it LAWSUIT?? I have nothing against whites or blacks its...

View more questions Search