Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 01:14 AM
    Peeing pup!
    Hi, Our 16 week springer was really getting the hang of trotting off up the garden to pee. In the last few days she has begun to sit on the back step, refusing to go to her usual spot. We encourage her to return to the spot, where she just wanders around sniffing or playing. When she comes in, she immediately relieves herself on carpets, piles of washing, laminate flooring, in fact anywhere in the house! We have tried closing the door, and leaving her outside for up to an hour, but the same happens. She used to wake us in the night to relieve herself, but now just goes on the carpet. Added to this, we have always had the problem of over excitement when we return from shopping, or visitors call, resulting in yet more pee. Everyone ignores her to help the situation, and she is always praised when she does pee outside during her walks. We have tried giving less to drink, and she doesn't seem ill, or disobedient in any other way, including pooping. If she needs to poop, she lets us know by sitting at our feet staring right at us. We can't understand what we are doing wrong. Maybe neutering would help? :confused: Please please help us!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Have her fixed. It is a little early, the vet could insist on waiting. Exactly what goes on in those furry little heads is hard to say. Could you be convinced she is doing it deliberately as a challenge to your leadership? The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/

These exercises will also help your role as top dog:

''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''

The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual. I have long used these or minor variations of them, and they are very effective. You may want to give him a belly rub while he is on his back too. Helps bonding. There is a big difference between him rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 6, 2006, 06:17 PM
    It sounds as if you had a really good start, but along the way got lost. Do you still TAKE her to the area you want her to use? You may need to restart that for a little while. It sounds as if she had the hang of it but isn't so sure what you want from her. Take oher on lead to her area. She can sniff, but no playtime. Then you can also bring her in to her crate and wait for 5 minutes, then try again outside? If you crate her at night she shouldn't pee on the carpet.

Get her spayed! It may not solve your problem but will SOLVE many other problems! Most current/up to date vets do spay/neuter at 4 months these days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Spiteful Peeing [ 23 Answers ]

I have read many other posts since I've started posting here about peeing. I've seen the things people have put to try to help out. My question today is I have an 11 year old rat terrier. He will pee on everything just for spite. I don't believe people when they say dogs cannot feel the same...

Dog peeing [ 5 Answers ]

Our chiwauwa female almost 5 months old pees everywhere in the house but in the litter box along with the other pets (cats & Dogs). We thought she had caught on after the "BAD DOG" scoldings and then we see her doing her thing right in front of us every so often. This is our first chiwauwa and...

Why is my dog peeing [ 3 Answers ]

If a male dog is fixed can he sense that there are other animals in heat and mark his territory?

Peeing in the house [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is a year and a half old Australian cattle dog mix. I adopted him a little while ago from a shelter, and at first things were fine. But now he has started to pee when I put a leash on him to take him out, at first I thought I was waiting to long to take him and he couldn't wait. But he does...

Peeing cat [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding on how to teach a cat that the litter box is the only place to take a leak, not the living room furniture?? My wife and I have 2 yr old cat who in the last 6 months has started peeing on our the couch and chair in our living room. We clean out the...

View more questions Search