Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cid1212 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2003, 04:18 PM
    I have the answer!
    Hello, a little while ago I asked a desperate question about my GSD, Jack. Well I got talking to a dog trainer and she recommended me the electric shock collar. Well Jack has had one on ever since and he is fabulous. I had to use it quite severely at first, he probably got one every hour or so for the first week, but now he is totally different. I am also clicker training him. He will now sit and wait for me to give him his dinner. He will lie down by my feet whilst I am watching the TV and when I go to bed he stays in the yard to guard the house. I have been able to use the electric collar for everything, growling, pulling on the lead, mouthing, impolite manners, trying to attack other dogs. It amazed me at how sensitive he actually is, every time I use it he goes into these yelps, but it has really made him think about what's happening. He will now tolerate Buzz in the same room as him. I am planning on using the collar on Buzz too, although he isn't too bad at the moment he always tries to jump on the furniture, he is ever so submissive though so getting him off isn't a problem, but I'm sure a few sharp shocks will teach him a lesson!
    The electric shock collar - an answer to your dreams!
    Cid.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2003, 07:17 PM
    I have the answer!
    Perhaps it is working well for you, but shock collars have been a disaster in many cases, reducing the dog to a nervous wreck. They are very easy to misuse. They are not a universal solution.
    minni Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2005, 04:32 AM
    I have an answer
    You post made me sick. You sound like a control freak with severe issues, and your pet has my sympathy.

Your "answer" is no answer at all, just an abusive way of breaking your dog. You are not even bothering to find out why your dog is behaving the way he is. Your "answer" is to hurt him until he does what you want,. never mind that he may be going through something that makes him act a certain way You are hiding the symptom, not fixing the problem.

The tone of your entire post sounded triumphant, as if you were thinking "Oh, I showed him who's boss!!!!". This is exactly the reason you shouldn't have a pet. I personally don't think you have one now. You have an animal that is being tortured into obeying your commands. He probably detests you.

Give your dog to someone who can treat him with love. Get a pet rock or something. They are very low maintenance.

You sick abusive freak, you!
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Jun 30, 2005, 11:18 AM
    Have you ever heard of the citronella collar? That's what I used on my last dog, just to break her of the habit of "pushing" people out the door *L* If she didn't like someone, she would jump up, put her paws on the back of their shoulders and shove them away, the vet just loved it and asked to borrow her for his mother in law *L* Dogs hate the smell of citronella, you just gave a little spray and the "down" command, took only about 6 days to break the habit. It's safe, humane and makes your house smell good! On your earlier post, you stated that you tried an electric shock collar and it didn't work, made him more aggressive and fearful when you'd try to put a lead on him. So what gives? Are you just trying to get a rise out of everyone?
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 7, 2005, 03:22 PM
    No shocker
    I adopted a Pit mix from a shelter that had some major issues, when she came home she had major aggression toward men if she felt cornered by them. Things that seemed unfamiliar to her such as a garbage bag or a fishing pole, you could say anything that she had not seen before made her go off. She never walked any where, she drug you. We never took her to petsmart to go doggy shopping. Being around other dogs was a very big no no. It took us about a year to work her to calmness. My dog Miss Piggy is my best friend and my life. She’s one of my family members she is now best friends with my husband, guardian to my daughter and a shopper till I run out of money at petsmart and petco. It took a lot a patience and perseverance but we made it. I never once thought of putting a shocker on her.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2005, 05:32 PM
    She never walked any where, she drug you.
    Easier dogs will give up their pulling with a few good snaps of the leash
    combined with a stern "Bad dog!". You can work up to forceful corrections
    with the leash doubled up in both hands and your whole body behind it. But
    you don't want to use any more force than you need. One gentle technique I
    like is to just stop when he pulls. He wants to go. If you move forward when
    the leash is slack, and stop when he pulls, he should quickly figure out the
    only way to get to go, is not to pull. This is about teaching him not to
    pull, not getting somewhere. The man that taught it to me said "If in a half
    hour you haven't made it out to the front walk, fine, you have taught him a
    lesson.

Still, you may want to switch to a head collar. The leading brands are Promice, Haltie, and Gentle Leader. They have a
    strap going around the dogs nose looking something like a muzzle. They work
    by pulling the dogs head around. No other way gives you such great control
    with so little force. The prong collar is now a dangerous relic of value only
    for its macho looks. Do not consider using one without hands on instruction
    from somebody with plenty of experience with them.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 7, 2005, 06:57 PM
    We basically did what you said; she pulled I stopped along with some corrective verbal cues. I would never use The prong collar, to me they seem to be an image on a Pit-bull it’s like a must have. Miss piggy has her cute little dog print collar. For the longest time we used a little doggy halter. I think it is the same thing you are talking about (muzzle like in appearance). Now we go out on a harness. She is very well behaved. We still go to doggy obedience school and are always learning something new. Piggy is a dog that has had a very rough start and will always need to learn new things and be socialized. She with many other pit-bulls will show the world that they are not a vicious breed. It is humans that make them that way.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2005, 09:17 PM
    It is too bad there aren't more people who will take in an abused dog, give it a good home, and work through its problems.
    BluPix Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2005, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cid1212
    Hello, a little while ago I asked a desperate question about my GSD, Jack. Well I got talking to a dog trainer and she recomended me the electric shock collar. Well Jack has had one on ever since and he is fabulous. I had to use it quite severely at first, he probably got one every hour or so for the first week, but now he is totally different. I am also clicker training him. He will now sit and wait for me to give him his dinner. He will lie down by my feet whilst I am watching the TV and when I go to bed he stays in the yard to guard the house. I have been able to use the electric collar for everything, growling, pulling on the lead, mouthing, impolite manners, trying to attack other dogs. It amazed me at how sensitive he actually is, every time I use it he goes into these yelps, but it has really made him think about what's happening. He will now tolerate Buzz in the same room as him. I am planning on using the collar on Buzz too, although he isn't too bad at the moment he always tries to jump on the furniture, he is ever so submissive though so getting him off isn't a problem, but I'm sure a few sharp shocks will teach him a lesson!
    The electric shock collar - an answer to your dreams!
    Cid.
    You disgust me. You have seriousy control issues. I understand a wack on the nose for something really bad, but electricuting your dog for any small thing they do? How about you put the collar on yourself and shock yourself repeatedly? Not so fun, huh? You don't need to shock your dog to get him off the furniture, that's the joy of having a dog, you get everything in your house smelly and hairy. If you need him off your furniture, use a spray bottle, believe it or not, dogs don't like spray bottles almost as much as cats. Electricuting your dog will only scare your dog so much that it'll have a nervous break down and be scared whenever it's in the collar, and if you like that, you need to sell your dogs to someone who will care for them and not even attempt to own anything living. You are disgusting. :mad:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need a answer please [ 3 Answers ]

I recently inherrited 6 etchings all 4" x 6" of woman wearing different hats maybe Paris or Europe woman . Just from their chest up. The woman look like they are from the 1920's or 30's on the back of each one is a silver seal saying genuine etching , Paris Etching Society the front a c in a...

In Need Of An Answer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Evelyn. I have in my possession a jukebox that may be an interest to a collector but I need to find out info on this jukebox. I have a serial & model numbers.How would I go about obtaining this information? Could you please help me? Thank You, flanjivfur :confused:

91 honda please answer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi What is the sports/normal button on the gear? I hv it on my screen now with the green lights on and shows sports. Is it bad? Thanks

I Need An Answer Please! [ 5 Answers ]

I need an answer When ever me and my b/f are together he sometimes checks out other chicks I do sometimes but when he does it I feel insecure like he wants to be with a hotter chick than w/ me and its probably I'm jealous and I hate it because I check out other chicks to and he isn't like...

View more questions Search