Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pat Dools Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 02:44 PM
    Math word problems (5th-6th grade level)
    Joe spent 1/3 of his allowance on a model airplane. He spent 2/3 of the remainder on a fishing rod. He had $20 left over. How much did he start with?

>> I'm starting my son off with a picture that is a rectangle divided into 3 parts (thirds), the first part representing the model airplane, but then I'm confusing myself with representing the 2/3 of the remaining 2 parts to arrive at the total. I know the answer is 90, but I can't explain how I got there except in the most manual, illogical way. I need a better mental template to approach these word problems with. Can I see a good step-by-step solution?

Thank you!:confused:
    Nhatkiem Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

Oct 20, 2009, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dools View Post
    Joe spent 1/3 of his allowance on a model airplane. He spent 2/3 of the remainder on a fishing rod. He had $20 left over. How much did he start off with?

>> I'm starting my son off with a picture that is a rectangle divided into 3 parts (thirds), the first part representing the model airplane, but then I'm confusing myself with representing the 2/3 of the remaining 2 parts to arrive at the total. I know the answer is 90, but I can't explain how I got there except in the most manual, illogical way. I need a better mental template to approach these word problems with. Can I see a good step-by-step solution?

Thank you!:confused:
    So here's what we do.

Let A = the original amount

Joe spent 1/3 if his original allowance, so your first term will be

The remaining amount would be

Joe then goes and spends 2/3 of what's left (2A/3) and has 20 dollars left over

This is what was spent.

So it must be true that what he spent plus 20 should give us what he had

From here you only have 1 unknown
    Pat Dools Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Thank you all - that helped a lot!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 09:56 PM

I think you should try to stick to the picture. You can apply the math used, but showing it on the picture helps to understand what it means, and helps people to make pictures of their own so they can apply it to future problems. Using the math only is usually pretty abstract to most people - like just random numbers flying about. With the picture, it is no longer abstract.

So I think you were on the right track there. I was going to attach an example, but I discovered this one was not easy to do looking at it after the fact. Much easier to watch it happen "live."

Oct 21, 2009, 10:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    I think you should try to stick to the picture. You can apply the math used, but showing it on the picture helps to understand what it means, and helps people to make pictures of their own so they can apply it to future problems. Using the math only is usually pretty abstract to most people - like just random numbers flying about. With the picture, it is no longer abstract.

So I think you were on the right track there. I was going to attach an example, but I discovered this one was not easy to do looking at it after the fact. Much easier to watch it happen "live."
    His method would have worked if he had divided the rectangle into 9 parts instead of 3.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 10:16 PM

That method can still work. Start with 3 parts. They can be divided down further as you go. That's the whole point of showing it "live." Which obviously I can't do here.

Besides, I can do it without dividing into 9 parts. It just takes 2 equations instead of trying to make it all one big equation. It's only elementary school - I wonder how much they're expecting. I would never heard learned this method in elementary school.

Oct 21, 2009, 10:49 PM
    That method can still work. Start with 3 parts. They can be divided down further as you go. That's the whole point of showing it "live." Which obviously I can't do here.

Besides, I can do it without dividing into 9 parts. It just takes 2 equations instead of trying to make it all one big equation. It's only elementary school - I wonder how much they're expecting. I would never heard learned this method in elementary school.
    Well it would be quiet difficult to show 2/3 of 2/3 using 3 pieces to a child.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 12:08 AM
    Going forward with the rectangle idea, that's how I'd done it:

The grey area the first 1/3 removed. Then, you consider the remaining area as a whole, and divide it into 3 parts, 2/3 of which will be spent (blue). The third part (white) will be $20.

Name:  Test.png
Views: 1889
Size:  2.0 KB

The finely dotted lines represent the first time you divide into three parts, and the longer dotted lines, the second time you divide the rectangle.

Oct 22, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Going forward with the rectangle idea, that's how I'd done it:

The grey area the first 1/3 removed. Then, you consider the remaining area as a whole, and divide it into 3 parts, 2/3 of which will be spent (blue). The third part (white) will be $20.

Name:  Test.png
Views: 1889
Size:  2.0 KB

The finely dotted lines represent the first time you divide into three parts, and the longer dotted lines, the second time you divide the rectangle.
    The color however is hard to notice unless you highlight the picture :rolleyes:
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 09:31 AM

Lol! I don't think that every person coming around would select the picture!
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2009, 12:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhatkiem View Post
    Well it would be quiet difficult to show 2/3 of 2/3 using 3 pieces to a child.
    No harder than explaining your equation to a child? And Unky just did quite a nice picture, a bit like I had in mind. Except it doesn't actually need to be divided into 9 parts to solve it. Trust me, it doesn't. Give me a 6th grader and I'll prove it to you.

Oct 23, 2009, 12:36 AM
    No harder than explaining your equation to a child?? And Unky just did quite a nice picture, a bit like I had in mind. Except it doesn't actually need to be divided into 9 parts to solve it. Trust me, it doesn't. Give me a 6th grader and I'll prove it to you.
    Who said that formulaic explanation was for the child? The guy asked it merely for himself.

As requested by OP "I need a better mental template to approach these word problems with. Can I see a good step-by-step solution?"
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2009, 12:47 AM

Well, that's true... but I still see no issue with my suggestion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Two math word problems using multiplying and dividing fractions. [ 13 Answers ]

I can't figure out this problem! Do I multiply or add? Same for the 2nd one! 1. Robin has read 3/4 of a book. Mark said he had read 1/2 as much as robin. What fraction of the book has mark read? (I have 2 show my work) 2. a bycicle is on sale for 2/3 of its original price . If the original...

Math word problems on fractions [ 2 Answers ]

Thereare101 engines and 94 lawn mowers. There are 19 engines and 3 lawn mowers defective. 40 are properly constructed but 42 were not. Of the lawn mowers that are not defective 50 were properly constructed 41 were not.

Algebra 9th grade word problems [ 1 Answers ]

Find the number of ful 8 hour shifts that Maria worked last month. 1) She worked twice as many 6 hour shifts as 8 hour shifts. 2) She worked a total of 280 hours. How do we solve??

Math word problems [ 3 Answers ]

A fire truck parks 16 ft away from a buliding. The fire truck extends its ladder 30 ft. How far up the building from the truck's roof does the extension ladder reach?? :P :-/

View more questions Search